Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Stabalization?

Stabalization?

I have a Rebel G (circa 1997 or so)...I want to upgrade to a digital (mostlikely SLR)...Im told that my current zoom lenses (I have 2, 24-80 and 75-300) wil work with a new Rebel SlR because the have Electronic focus...But, Ive also heard that it is VERY important to have image stabalizatipon with the lenses for digital...My question is:

Is this true (that I should buy new lenses as well or would I be ok for a year or two or five, with my EF lenses)?
    Greg

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Stabalization?

Welcome to the Forum.

The EF lenses you have for your Rebel G will work just fine on a Canon DSLR. Image Stabilization is nice, but not a must have by any stretch. Use the lenses you have now and if you find they are lacking in some way, then you can upgrade once you know what you want out of your gear.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

IS is nice sometimes but absolutely not a must. Most lenses still don't have it.
    For me it is good when I have to shoot in lower light without a tripod. I can still get shots at 1/30th or even lower if I'm careful or brace myself without losing sharpness due to camera shake.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I think it is safe to say that stabilization will help to reduce camera shake in every situation (except for tripod applications when newer IS/VR models turn themselves off). But whether that improvement will have a noticeable effect in your photography depends on so many factors that it is impossible for us to tell you.

Just some factors which come immediately to mind are:

- your natural stability
    - your subject matter (your typical lighting)
    - your shooting style
    - your tendency to use strobes verses using ambient lighting
    - your output mode (web use, print size, etc.)
    - your level of "acceptability"

I say if you're going to be buying lenses anyway and you can afford it, then by all means consider one with IS. But it may not be wise to consider buying a lens only because it has IS.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I have IS in my Canon S5IS compact. I like it it but that is not why I bought that camera.

I have 2 canon 35mm film cameras, An EOS K2 and an EOS XS. I also have a Canon Rebel XT DSLR Lenses range from 18-55 kit, 28-75 kit, "Nifty 50" 18-200 and 75-300. None of them have IS. I've been taking pict5ures for about 60 years so i got used to not having IS and, since I never had it, I don't miss it. I just have to remember to hold still. When I buy more lenses, and we all will, I will probably get IS, just because it's available. It's NOT a crutch. It is a useful tool, just one I have not upgraded ME yet.

Get the DSLR with a kit lens and that will give you wide ranging coverage and let you learn more of what you want.

Best of luck with your choices.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Thread Information