Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Bright light sources and hot areas?

Hi

I just purchased a D70 and took it on a vacation. Everything worked great, but I am struggling with bright light sources like the sun on a lake or florescent lights. I have tried polarizing filter and also different amounts of underexposure. Are there any other tips or suggestions so that there is good contrast and color?

I have found that the underexposure seems to limit the color range captured. I just received a ND set of filters so that might work. I would welcome thoughts and suggestions.

madisonDave

Not sure I know exactly what you mean - can you post an example? You mean shooting with a bright light source in the shot? That causes problems for me too and others, not the same as film here.

You got it!!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Not sure I know exactly what you mean - can you post an example? You mean shooting with a bright light source in the shot? That causes problems for me too and others, not the same as film here.
    That is exactly what I am talking about. I am learning that having this occur is not like film, but what are the effective or creative options here? How might I work with it better?

Thank you for the help.

I too have seen the highlights flashing on the lcd of my D70, I also expierenced out of the box that the D70 was taking darker photo's, on the LCD they looked fine, but back home on the confuser they were dark. I read on a forum to modify the expousure by +1/3 of a stop & this seems to help a lot in producing better exposed photo's.

Good luck with your D70, I find it a truly interesting expierence learning how to use it.

Regards
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

If you have shots that already exhibit overexposure then consider the following to aid your workflow: http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=20

When shooting, take some test shots if possible and learn to read the histogram. This may help: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_41/essay.html
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Thread Information