• 07-13-2004, 05:47 PM
    madisonDave
    Bright light sources and hot areas?
    Hi

I just purchased a D70 and took it on a vacation. Everything worked great, but I am struggling with bright light sources like the sun on a lake or florescent lights. I have tried polarizing filter and also different amounts of underexposure. Are there any other tips or suggestions so that there is good contrast and color?

I have found that the underexposure seems to limit the color range captured. I just received a ND set of filters so that might work. I would welcome thoughts and suggestions.

madisonDave
  • 07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
    another view
    Not sure I know exactly what you mean - can you post an example? You mean shooting with a bright light source in the shot? That causes problems for me too and others, not the same as film here.
  • 07-14-2004, 04:18 PM
    madisonDave
    You got it!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Not sure I know exactly what you mean - can you post an example? You mean shooting with a bright light source in the shot? That causes problems for me too and others, not the same as film here.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I am learning that having this occur is not like film, but what are the effective or creative options here? How might I work with it better?

Thank you for the help.
  • 07-15-2004, 02:09 PM
    Norman
    I too have seen the highlights flashing on the lcd of my D70, I also expierenced out of the box that the D70 was taking darker photo's, on the LCD they looked fine, but back home on the confuser they were dark. I read on a forum to modify the expousure by +1/3 of a stop & this seems to help a lot in producing better exposed photo's.

Good luck with your D70, I find it a truly interesting expierence learning how to use it.

Regards
  • 07-19-2004, 02:09 PM
    gmen
    If you have shots that already exhibit overexposure then consider the following to aid your workflow: http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=20

When shooting, take some test shots if possible and learn to read the histogram. This may help: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_41/essay.html