Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Some questions about new Olympus E-620

Hello guys
    I've heard about the new E-620 coming out and just wanted to ask a few questions about it:

1) What's the point of Multi-Exposure? Can't you just use photoshop to combine images like this?

2) There is now a "White Balance Sensor" on the front of the camera. I have tried to look up some information on the internet but found absolutely nothing. Can someone please give some insight on how this works and whether it is rly such a big difference?
    Will it remove the need for a Gray Card or an ExpoDisc?

3) When is it going to be availible for sale to the public?

4) Also any ideas on about how much this would cost?

5) Anyone who has experience with it: the screen, is it nice and steady
    Like is it not too hard to twist around and does it also stay in the position you put it in?

6) Do you recon the screen is also strong enough? because it rly looks fragile, like it could snap off any second, especially looking at the ways you can twist it in... :S

Thank you :P

Re: Some questions about new Olympus E-620

2) The external white balance sensor is to detect the temperature of the light, rather than the temperature of the scene. I haven't found much use for it on my E3, but I can see it being helpful for choosing flash gels.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Does that mean that the White Balance Sensor is more accurate than the standard way of Auto White Balance Adjustment (like in the E-520)?
    Does it make the use of a gray card/white paper redundant?

Thank you

I've been using the E-620 for a few weeks now. I haven't found the white balance to be noticably different from previous Olympus DSLRs I've used. And no, the external white balance sensor won't eliminate the need for a gray card if you want to do a custom white balance in-camera or in post. You still need a neutral subject (the gray card or white card) to take your white balance sample.

The LCD display is rock solid. I leave it in the standard position most of the time when I'm in the field. But I have used it in other positions in the studio and when doing sunsest landscapes. It works great and it stays wherever you put it. I do use Live View and I find it much more difficult to use with a standard, fixed LCD. I love the movable LCDs on the E-3, E-30 and E-620.

The E-620 is supposed to be available in the US in May for $699. I believe that's a kit price and includes the ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I'm not sure if the European price or delivery date will be different.

Like I said, I've been using the E-620 for a few weeks. I just took it down to Southern Utah and shot a day of mountain biking and a day of hiking in Zion National Park. I am working on setting up and uploading those photos right now. In the meantime, here are links to some E-620 articles on the site:

Olympus E-620 First Impressions >>
    Olympus E-620 - The Only New DSLR At PMA 2009 >>
    Olympus E-620 Box Opening Video >>
    My Olympus E-620 Gallery >>

Like I said, I've got a bunch more photos to post to the gallery. So you might want to check that link again tomorrow.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you've got more questions. I'm working on a review and your questions will help me write a better review
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

That has cleared some things up... thanx man

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The E-620 is supposed to be available in the US in May for $699. I believe that's a kit price and includes the ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I'm not sure if the European price or delivery date will be different.
    $699 is the body price. $799 with the 14-42 lens, and $899 with both the 14-42 and the 40-150mm lenses.

Thread Information