Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

some advice for a newbie

Hello everyone, I am a part time freelance automotive writer/photographer who drives a tractor trailer for the big bills. Recently I got the oppertunity to cover an event for a trucking magazine. The editor and I spoke about my current wepon of choice, a fuji fine pix 3800. My wife and kids bought it for me a few years ago. It has worked fine, but above mentioned editor informed me it would not work for the magazine format. He recomended a Nikon d-70 with a 18-35 mm and 70-200 lens combo.
    Here is my question, I shoot a lot of photos at drag racing events, but am very clueless as to all of the settings, ins and outs of the photo world. My fuji worked fine in that it did a lot of that "stuff" by itself. The event I have been invited to cover is coming up in Sept. and the upgrade to the Nikon will be a sizeable investment. I would like to be able to make sure my money won't be going to a mercedes I sit in the seat and won't be able to operate. Any thoughts or recomendations would be welcome...thanks in advance....

Smile Re: some advice for a newbie

Some more info...I would like very much to have an automatic setting so I can point and shoot, and fiddle around at a later time. The event I am attending will be a truck drag race in canada. I don't have enough spare time right now to go to a photo class. Thanks again, will check in later...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: some advice for a newbie

Is the editor saying you have to upgrade or is he strongly suggesting you upgrade? If it's the former, make sure the job is going to pay enough to cover the cost of the equipment. Still, the D70 is an older model so you would have to buy it second-hand and so the editor is not being too demanding I suppose.

I'm not familar with those specific lenses to say that those are wise choices. But I do recommend that you concentrate more on the lens purchase than the body choice.

I think September gives you enough time to get comfortable with some new equipment if you act now. If you are going to do this, don't wait until the last minute.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: some advice for a newbie

I'd get something newer than the D70, even though it is a good camera.
    The D80 is also out of production and can be had for nearly the same price.
    Yes the dslr will have an auto setting. Also you will be able to shoot much faster and not have the shutter delay. None have very fast frame rate at 3 frames per second but you'd have to pay quite a bit more for more.
    I don't know why he recommended those lenses. Instead of two, I'd go with one lens of either the 18-200 vr which will alllow shooting in lower light or if that is too expensive then the 18-135.
    You'll also need some memory cards to cover how much you shoot, and probably, at least, some basic editing programs.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information