Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Sigma SD14 vs. Canon 30D - Which to buy??

Hello there, first post. I'm looking to upgrade to a digital SLR (ive had expirience with them in the past in my job field, but have yet to purchase one.) I am trying to decide between the Sigma SD14 and the Canon 30D.

Now ive read MANY reviews online about both of them, but I was hoping there were some users on here that had an opinion as well. I dont have any lenses for either, so I would essentially be starting from scratch.

From what i've read and seen (various sample pictures), the Foveon chip is superb with image quality and color being sharp and saturated. Im not too worried about the noise that is associated with the ISO 1600 setting on the SD14, as my shots are 99 percent of the time taking during sunny days and basically situations that wouldnt have me on anything above 800 too much.

(Now that you see im leaning towards the SD14, let me know what you have to think! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!)

Ron

Re: Sigma SD14 vs. Canon 30D - Which to buy??

My only caveat with the SD14 is that to get the benefit of the Fovean sensor, the image you get is 4.6 mp max (2640x1760 pixels). To get the advertised 14.1 mp, the sensor must be interpolated. That's exactly how most DSLR sensors operate, so you would lose all the benefits of the Fovean sensor.

The downside is that I would guess that a Fovean sensor would be porportionally harder to clean. I haven't researched it, but it's definately something I would look into before buying.

So, I guess it depends on what you're doing. If you're posting to the web, or don't plan on printing anything larger than 5x7, then the Sigma is a great camera. But if you want anything more than 5mp in an image, then there's really no benefit that I can see.

To be honest, I looked into buying an SD14 some time ago, and declined for exactly this reason.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

FWIW... Noise on the Sigma goes way up at 400 ISO. There is lots of noise in the red because it is on the bottom.

What counts is the final result. The Fovean adds nothing to that, its IQ falls in the middle of the pack. Do not get influenced by the fanboys and press releases. Also, Canon lenses are better quality than most Sigma lenses. With the Canon, you can choose to use either.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

drg

Ron,

Welcome to Photography Review.

I just saw your post and felt that I should respond. If you haven't read the review we have at PR for the Sigma SD14, here is the link:

Photography Review SD14 Professional Review

Having shot with both cameras, including also having shot with the Canon 20D extensively, my advice would be to skip both the 30D and the SD14 as you are not invested in either system.

The 30D is a 'repackaged' and upgraded 20D, though a good camera it is really outpaced by both the 400 Xti (Rebel) and the Canon 40D.

(Photography Review Canon 40D Professional Review)

That being said, part of my reasoning is that these two cameras aren't really comparable.

The Sigma SD14 is a transitional camera I believe, and the 30D is an older model.

I skipped the 30D as an 'upgrade' as at the time it did not offer any different sensor, and the features added were supplanted or more fully realized in other bodies available.

The 'hype' and misinformation surrounding the Sigma SDxx cameras always give me several chuckles. I've printed 16x20 photographs quite successfully on numerous occaision from the SD10 and there are some images from testing of the SD14 that stood as well or better when produced at that size. There is a failure to understand what one usually makes prints this size for (other than testing) and how they are typically viewed. In fact the Image Quality that can be acheived with the Foveon equipped cameras is what led to my use of a SD10 for a period of time for certain applications. At one time I regularly made 8x10/12 inch prints with great success from a Sigma SD10 with a smaller sensor.

Should you wish, Shutterbug magazine in the their January 2008 issue has a most interesting article regarding the side by side by side images from the Sigma and two other highly regarded, and much 'larger' pixel count cameras.

By the way, most of the Color Noise in Foveon sensors isn't in the Red, it can be red noise, but that is a conversion problem to JPEG for the most part. The color shifts in the non-upgraded cameras is more of a problem. Testing shows an decided tendency towards exaggerating greens (I have several demonstrable reasons for this occuring), but Red shifts are no or more less predominant. Then again I can make the sky purple with a SD14!

Best luck in choosing a camera, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either a 40D or an XTI (400) if for no reason other than than advances in the sensors, cleaning, and some of the new well thought out added features.

Let us know what you do use, and show us some photos and do write you review in the review section whey you are ready!

- CDP
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Coming in late, I'm now ready to purchase my first DSLR, and, after researching for weeks, narrowed my selection down to the EOS 40D. But I saw a comparison (http://www.ddisoftware.com/sd14-5d/) between the EOS 5D and SD14, I'm having second thoughts again! What am I looking for? Grass......I want crispy detail in my landscapes, particularly grass. And a wide dynamic range. The Sigma seems to cost half the 40D, which I was really having to stretch my budget to purchase. Please advise if the 40D will deliver the same quality and dynamic range?

drg

Have you considered the Canon 450D/XSi as an alternative? Great little camera that if you don't need the higher frame rate, performs very well?

The 5D and SD14 are both older cameras that probably will be replaced in the next year. Bargains do abound and if you take in to consideration the cameras capabilities they both can perform very well. The Sigma (I've used both the SD10 and 14) cameras are more difficult to get the images you want, but when you do they are stunning. The 5D is a full frame sensor and therefore can't use the lower cost lens as they are the wrong type (EF-S) or the lower quality shows up in the corners. Some people still swear by them.

I want to read the article you found (had missed this one) before I comment on it.

I will say that the Dynamic Range topic with all of these camera is fairly complex and a lot depends upon how they are used, with what lenses, and even with RAW files, post-processing plays a large role.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take your hint and steer clear of the SD14 for now. In fact, I've been advised to wait for PMA next month and see how the prices of the older models drop. I can barely afford the 40D with the cheapest kit-lens, so I never even had 5D dreams. The 450D isn't available where I live :-/ But Canon arrives in the country here in 3 days time so I'm hopeful!

Thread Information