Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Need Advice: first time to buy dSLR need it for wildlife safari in Kenya

Hi,

I need your advice to guide my through the dSLR world;

Want to buy a dSLR within a budget of $1000, i used to have Olympus 10x optical zoom camera.

i know that i should have powerful zoom capabilities but i don't understand for instance how many nX optical zoom can be equivalent to a 200mm lens??

also if any one could give me advice on what brand to choose and the lenses that can make get the best out of my trip with a dSLR?
    Or shall i opt for the new ultra zoom Olypmus SP 570 UZ, as it has 20 x zoom and can add extender 2X? is this achievable with a dSLR with in my budget?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for being to long but sure you understand
    Magdy

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Need Advice: first time to buy dSLR need it for wildlife safari in Kenya

In an SLR format, a 50mm is roughly equivalent to how the human eye sees. So a 200mm is about 4x. A 20x for an SLR means 1000mm - a little out of your price range.

Don't get caught up in the extreme 10x, 20x advertised zoom capabilities of the P&S. Most are digital zooms which is simply cropping the already tiny image on a tiny sensor. Compare only optical zooms.

For SLR's, most people will rarely use/need anything beyond 300mm or 400mm. How soon is your safari? Learning one's gear completely is necessary to consistently getting high quality images. If you do go to SLR's, I would suggest several months of daily shooting before you go in order to learn its capabilities and limitations.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Need Advice: first time to buy dSLR need it for wildlife safari in Kenya

actually a 10x zoom in point and shoot can't really be converted to slr lenses. 10x means that it ranges from the smallest to the longest.... ie 10mm to 100mm would be a 10x, also 15mm to 150mm would also be 10x where as a 50mm to 150mm would only be a 3x lense.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Thread Information