Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Sigma Lenses?

Sigma Lenses?

I will be purchasing a Nikon or Canon very soon, but the extra lenses are too pricey for me. I am looking at the Sigma 105mm Macro at almost half the cost. Are they decent lenses?

Re: Sigma Lenses?

Never used it. I have a Sigma 18-200, and I like it, but like many brands, some lenses are highly rated, others are not. I like my Nikon lens, and the few I've borrowed always seemed to work well. Sometimes it's worth saving up for the name-rand lens.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Pretty much every manufacturer has a wide range of lenses from really bad to outstanding.

Your best bet is almost always to research the lens that you're looking at and find reviews of it.

I think this is a review for the lens you're talking about

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

AF seems to be its main weakness.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

AF is a typical weakness for Macro lens (even with focus limiter engaged). Do not expect zippy fast AF with any macro.

Canons 100mm f/2.8 is a sweet lens, its not much more than either the Tamron or Sigma counterparts, and is optically superior (and doesn't stop down through focus range). IIRC the Sigma and Tamron both stop down to f/5 at full magnification, which is a major disadvantage. Sony's 100mm macro is also excellent. Dunno about Nikon but probably the same there too.

Just dont end up with some weak 50mm macro, it will inhibit your ability to flash a macro scene, and you have to get right up way too close to macro subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    AF is a typical weakness for Macro lens (even with focus limiter engaged). Do not expect zippy fast AF with any macro.

Canons 100mm f/2.8 is a sweet lens, its not much more than either the Tamron or Sigma counterparts, and is optically superior (and doesn't stop down through focus range). IIRC the Sigma and Tamron both stop down to f/5 at full magnification, which is a major disadvantage. Sony's 100mm macro is also excellent. Dunno about Nikon but probably the same there too.

Just dont end up with some weak 50mm macro, it will inhibit your ability to flash a macro scene, and you have to get right up way too close to macro subjects.

I just found a Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f2.8 macro for $529.00. I was afraid I was going to have to pay much more. Thank you for your input. I will definately go with Canon now. Thanks again!

Thread Information