Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Photo Logging Programs

I have been taking digital pics from a Sony camera. I am planning on upgrading to a Canon 20D.

What programs or modes are avalible for documeting the picture attributes? Is there details on the picture attitutes about the ASA, exposure, date, etc, for this camera? Or any good file organization software?

I ask because I wish I kept better records. I do not always run manual and keep notes. Auto works best in some situations.

Thanks,

Bry

EXIF Data

Bry-
    All of that data is already stored in your image files. The trick is to get access to it. There is all kinds of software available that will give you access to that data. Some of the software is for RAW conversion, some is for image management, and some editing programs, like Adobe Photoshop, also give access to the EXIF data.

The good news is that as long as your Sony camera stored the exposure information in the EXIF data, you haven't lost anything. Your next step is to decide what kind of software you want to invest in to see that data. You can use anything from shareware to expensive stuff like Adobe Photoshop CS, Extensis Portfolio, and Phase One Capture One. For quick JPEG viewing and EXIF access, I sometimes use a shareware program called, simply, EXIF Image Viewer. It's really simple, fast, and free. You might want to download it for immediate access.

Oh yeah, when you buy the 20D, I'm pretty sure the Canon soaftware will give you access to all of EXIF data. I haven't been happy with the Canon software and choose not to use it. But it should be better than whatever you're using now.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information