Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: sd memory cards

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

sd memory cards

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
    I just bought a nikon d80 which is my first digital slr though I've owned a point and shoot and a 35mm or two.
    The d80 will only take sd cards. I've read some stuff about them but the articles are usually more technical and I get a headache before I can find the answers to my questions.

Does card size make a difference in write speed, e.g.; does a 1gb card write faster than a 512 mb card?

How concerned should I be about whether it is a high speed card, say 150x, or one that doesn't specify high speed. Most of my shooting is nature, people, etc. and not sports though you never know.

I know lexar and sandisk are supposed to be good cards....are there others?

I will be grateful for any info received.

frog

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: sd memory cards

Card size will generally not have a big effect on write speed.

If I were you i'd get a high speed card anyways- if anything it allows you to transfer off it faster. IMO you should avoid any brand not on nikon's compatibility charts- stick with Lexar and SanDisk. The SanDisk Ultra II line is a fast series but not too expensive either, and I think the Lexar platinum series is its rough equivalent.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I bought a sandisk ultra II for 23 bucks and $7 shipping on ebay from reliable usa outfit.
    I'd bid on some that didn't seem to have much action and got tired of waiting so did a buy it now. Then one I'd bid the grand total of 12.74 on and lost to higher bidder, sent me a second chance offer for one at my bid. Oh well......next time I'll let myself get outbid and wait for the second chance....lol

frog

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
    I just bought a nikon d80 which is my first digital slr though I've owned a point and shoot and a 35mm or two.
    The d80 will only take sd cards. I've read some stuff about them but the articles are usually more technical and I get a headache before I can find the answers to my questions.

Does card size make a difference in write speed, e.g.; does a 1gb card write faster than a 512 mb card?

How concerned should I be about whether it is a high speed card, say 150x, or one that doesn't specify high speed. Most of my shooting is nature, people, etc. and not sports though you never know.

I know lexar and sandisk are supposed to be good cards....are there others?

I will be grateful for any info received.

frog
    Look at the speed testing for your camera at

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Don't spend money on cards that are faster than your camera can handle.

I would avoid Lexar. I have had several Lexar products, CF cards and USB drives. ALL of them died very quickly.

SanDisk has been reliable under many adverse conditions. I also do very well with Viking.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I bought a sandisk ultra II for 23 bucks and $7 shipping on ebay from reliable usa outfit.
    I'd bid on some that didn't seem to have much action and got tired of waiting so did a buy it now. Then one I'd bid the grand total of 12.74 on and lost to higher bidder, sent me a second chance offer for one at my bid. Oh well......next time I'll let myself get outbid and wait for the second chance....lol

frog

That's a scam. The problem with cards on ebay right now is that the popular ones like Sandisk Ultra II's are going for cheap. Too cheap. A lot of scams, and also a lot of counterfit cards. They do an excellent job making them look like the real thing.

Canuck, you are right. I read a review on ebay on how to tell if you are getting a couterfit card and looked at mine and its not a real sandisk.
    I'll be posting complaints and going through the process of turning the outfit in even though they've been a seller for a long time and have good feedback, I'm thinking no one pays enough attention to know if they got the real thing.
    I'll be wiser for my experience anyway.

If your camera is able to use Lexar's Write Acceleration technology, the Lexar 133x cards seem to have that feature. I use it with their CF cards, and it really makes my *st D zip right along!

I think the SD cards also use it, but it's not entirely clear from their Web site.

Thread Information