Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Reviews - digital lenses

I'm very pleased with all the reviews of equipment. But when I try to find any reviews of the Nikkon 18-200dx lens it is placed in the "Digital lenses" section. In the Review Section I can't find this section.
    I also found out that in the "normal 35 mm zoom lens" section 1 review on the Nikkon 18-200dx was posted.
    I hope you can fix this small problem

Keep on the good work!

With kind regards,

Freuzel
    Photograpy is the art of what not to show
    My gallery

Re: Reviews - digital lenses

Freuzel-
    Thanks for posting about this. It's actually been a dilemma for me. Originally, there was no such as "Digital Lenses" and we all just used 35mm lenses on our digital SLRs. The "Digital Lenses" category was for converter lenses for compact digital cameras. And I haven't ever been able to decide what the right thing to do was. Your post indicates that at least some people find my categorization confusing. Since the digital SLR lenses and 35mm SLR lenses are being used on the same cameras, I think they should be in the same review section so they can be compared. After all, if I can choose between a 35mm lens and a digital lens, it's very possible that I'll go with the 35mm lense because it has superior image quality or I'm also using it on a full-frame digital SLR or a 35mm SLR. Does that make sense? It just doesn't seem right to separate them. I think the solution is to change the name of the category to something like "35mm and DSLR Lenses." What do you think?

I'm going to copy this post to the Digital SLR forum to see if I can get some more opinions. It's a good topic for discussion.

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Freuzel-
    Thanks for posting about this. It's actually been a dilemma for me. Originally, there was no such as "Digital Lenses" and we all just used 35mm lenses on our digital SLRs. The "Digital Lenses" category was for converter lenses for compact digital cameras. And I haven't ever been able to decide what the right thing to do was. Your post indicates that at least some people find my categorization confusing. Since the digital SLR lenses and 35mm SLR lenses are being used on the same cameras, I think they should be in the same review section so they can be compared. After all, if I can choose between a 35mm lens and a digital lens, it's very possible that I'll go with the 35mm lense because it has superior image quality or I'm also using it on a full-frame digital SLR or a 35mm SLR. Does that make sense? It just doesn't seem right to separate them. I think the solution is to change the name of the category to something like "35mm and DSLR Lenses." What do you think?

I'm going to copy this post to the Digital SLR forum to see if I can get some more opinions. It's a good topic for discussion.

Thanks!

I'd prefer to see full-frame lenses in one category and APS lenses in a second category. Leave the converter section for converters. I really think that most people think in those terms, they are unlikely to have no choice in mind to start with. Personally, I decided on only full-frame lenses a while back and can't imagine buying a lens in the APS format. Do we really want to clutter the reviews up by mixing both types? But then, maybe I'm wrong about this...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

35mm & DSLR Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Freuzel-

Thanks!
    I agree with you and I disagree with Michael (as usual - sorry). The majority of DSLR users are going to be interested in both FF lenses and APS-C lenses because they have APS-C sensors.

The folks who have or who are thinking of getting a FF DSLR know what they're getting into and know which lenses they can't use - unfortunately for them. (The first results from the new Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS look very good. I've seen some people saying they're going to trade in their 17-40 f4).

Charles

Pentax Forum Moderator

I can see Michaels POV, but, I like your idea of changing the titles. But would something more simple be "All Lenses" and Converter Lenses? But I do like the idea of only the 2 categories, because as a Pentax user, I have always considered both types of lenses. I like being able to look in only one spot.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Since this is all by database control, I think it must be possible to create different entries for different users. So I agree with Ken.
    Photograpy is the art of what not to show
    My gallery

Thread Information