Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

In reference to Uwe's FAQ post...

I've been going through all the old posts re digital v film SLRs as I didn't want to ask the age old question without research first!

I found Uwe's post most helpful and seriously contemplated the questions. My problem is I can't find a concrete answer to the question of "how big can a digital image become before it starts to become noticably pixelated?"

I take a lot of macro images of flora that I use in interior design work. I want to have the option of enlarging to poster size if I capture a great image.

That said, it is not my only subject matter. I enjoy photodocumentary style work and would love the benefit of reviewing what has been 'caught' immediately. This will be especially important at a friends wedding. I am taking her photos as they cannot afford a professional wedding photographer. I really want to get it right and maybe have a thought of a 'safety net' in being able to view what has been caught immediately and retify it. I've taken a lot of photos at friends weddings (as an added extra to the professional) and have always been fairly happy with the result, but this time I am solely responsible. I also travel a lot and would take comfort in knowing that I leave a place with quality images rather than a roll of film in which anything can be possible...

So having revealed my inner most fears... Will a DSLR meet my needs. I will hopefully be able to answer this question myself once I get some input re enlargement possibilities...

I have been researching the Fuji S2 and Nikon D70 and Pentax Dist* (have read all the info on the current posts) versus Nikon N80 and N100 ( I am really attracted to the depth of field preview function which is also on the D70 - especially for my macro work).

I really appreciate all the expertise that members here share and have learnt and enormous amount already. Thanks for your time.

Fran

>I can't find a concrete answer to the question of "how big can a digital image become before it starts to become noticably pixelated?"

There is no serious answer to this question.

1. People using 4x5 or even 8x10 will have a different opinion than users of 35mm cameras

2. It depends on the subject matter and viewind distance

But a 1Ds image holds more detail than 25mm film scanned with a drum scanner :

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...ary_part1.html

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Thread Information