Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which D-SLR to get

I am currently looking to buy my first DSLR as alot of people on here are. I am trying to decide between the Canon XSi and the Nikon D60. I know alot of which would be better depends on what i will be shooting with it so here it goes. I will be taking alot of pictures of my dogs and my two small daughters. So lots of moving things, and probably quite a bit of sports. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Im not looking to spend more than $650 and i can get the XSi for $750 with a $100 rebate from canon, the D60 runs around the same.

Re: Which D-SLR to get

Welcome to the site. Happy to help

The truth is, which camera you get is mostly a matter of personal taste. They're both very good cameras - you can't buy a bad digital SLR anymore. There may be subtle differences between the two that make a difference to you, but they're likely to be very personal. I have an XSi and I've used the D60's predecessor - the D40X - extensively. And I will happily shoot with either camera. I don't think there's a huge difference between them.

One thing that would be good is to try them both on for size. Have you been to the store to handle them both? A lot of people choose the Nikons because they think they feel better. On the other hand, the Canon has 2 million more pixels, leaving you a little more room for cropping. But really, they're both going to do a great job for you. In the end, it comes down to which brand makes you the most comfortable. You are investing in a system after all.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Which D-SLR to get

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIce2k3
    I am currently looking to buy my first DSLR as alot of people on here are. I am trying to decide between the Canon XSi and the Nikon D60. I know alot of which would be better depends on what i will be shooting with it so here it goes. I will be taking alot of pictures of my dogs and my two small daughters. So lots of moving things, and probably quite a bit of sports. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Im not looking to spend more than $650 and i can get the XSi for $750 with a $100 rebate from canon, the D60 runs around the same.
    The Canon XSi is one step above the D60 in terms of functionality. For your case - it has 9 autofocus points whereas the D60 has only 3. This means that for sports or for rapid objects like children, the XSi autofocus will cover a larger area and should be able to follow the subject better (note: you have to set the camera to follow the subject).

If you can get both cameras for the same price then the canon is a better deal.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information