Which D-SLR to get

Printable View

• 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
    BlueIce2k3
    Which D-SLR to get
    I am currently looking to buy my first DSLR as alot of people on here are. I am trying to decide between the Canon XSi and the Nikon D60. I know alot of which would be better depends on what i will be shooting with it so here it goes. I will be taking alot of pictures of my dogs and my two small daughters. So lots of moving things, and probably quite a bit of sports. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Im not looking to spend more than $650 and i can get the XSi for $750 with a $100 rebate from canon, the D60 runs around the same.
  • 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Which D-SLR to get
    Welcome to the site. Happy to help :)

The truth is, which camera you get is mostly a matter of personal taste. They're both very good cameras - you can't buy a bad digital SLR anymore. There may be subtle differences between the two that make a difference to you, but they're likely to be very personal. I have an XSi and I've used the D60's predecessor - the D40X - extensively. And I will happily shoot with either camera. I don't think there's a huge difference between them.

One thing that would be good is to try them both on for size. Have you been to the store to handle them both? A lot of people choose the Nikons because they think they feel better. On the other hand, the Canon has 2 million more pixels, leaving you a little more room for cropping. But really, they're both going to do a great job for you. In the end, it comes down to which brand makes you the most comfortable. You are investing in a system after all.
  • 01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
    Franglais
    Re: Which D-SLR to get
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueIce2k3
    I am currently looking to buy my first DSLR as alot of people on here are. I am trying to decide between the Canon XSi and the Nikon D60. I know alot of which would be better depends on what i will be shooting with it so here it goes. I will be taking alot of pictures of my dogs and my two small daughters. So lots of moving things, and probably quite a bit of sports. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Im not looking to spend more than $650 and i can get the XSi for $750 with a $100 rebate from canon, the D60 runs around the same.

The Canon XSi is one step above the D60 in terms of functionality. For your case - it has 9 autofocus points whereas the D60 has only 3. This means that for sports or for rapid objects like children, the XSi autofocus will cover a larger area and should be able to follow the subject better (note: you have to set the camera to follow the subject).

If you can get both cameras for the same price then the canon is a better deal.