Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question, please help

Hello, we are looking to buy a new camera. We love taking pictures, (family, vacations, etc.). We currently have a Canon Elph and a Canon Film camera (nice one w/ a Sigma 75-300 lens that we bought for it). Couple of questions, please: is there a big difference in the Canon Xs and the Canon Xsi? We can only see a couple of differences in the description of the two: one has 10.1 megapixels and the other 12.2 megapixels. Is it worth the $80 difference for the 12.2? And, the xsi has a slightly bigger screen (3.0 compared to the xs with its 2.5). Both these cameras says the lens is 18-55. Second question, will our 75-300 lens fit on the Canon Rebel xs or xsi? Thank you very much!

Re: Question, please help

The Xsi also has more auto-focus points than the XS and a better burst capacity in jpg and raw formats. That second part means it can take more pictures in a quick burst than the XS. If you don't plan on doing anything with it where you will need to take a bunch of shots really close together then it's probably not an issue. Oh, I think the Xsi also had one more light metering type.

I was looking at both the XS and Xsi last summer and I did decide for me the extra was worth it and ended up with the Xsi. Yes your 75-300 should fit on either camera. I have a 35-80mm kit lens that came with an old Canon Rebel film SLR from mid-90's and it works on my Xsi.

Thread Information