Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Question about TIFF format

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5704
    Not sure what the deal is. He said last week (I have it in my notes) that we need to shoot in TIFF but yesterday, said that he never specified. Oh well, at least I get to shoot RAW.
    Melissa,

Just for interest see this note of why youd should not use JPEG for editing.

JPEG Compression Particulars

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The teacher probably doesn't want the digital students to fix bad camera settings in PP.
    If this class is specific to film, but allows digital camera, then PP would be cheating.

No PP is a great way to learn to get it right in the camera first.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    I'm with Clicker. For years I resisted going digital because film had more quality for repoduction purposes, but with the demise of special films, such as low-ISO Kodachrome, and advancements in digital technology, I decided to make the plunge in June of last year.
    I'm still learning about the technology, but from what I've figured out, high-megapixel digital (properly handled) is every bit as good, if not better, than the best films, and the ability to manipulate the image (though admittedly overdone a lot), makes digital infinately more versatile than film.
    To me, shooting digital compared to film is similar to writing on a word processor compared to an old, manual typewriter.
    I suspect your instructor is behind the digital curve, and the fact he told you to shoot in TIFF, indicates that.
    kenrockwell mentioned that film cameras shoots better landscape photos than any dSLR. How true is that?
    I wish to learn all you can teach me about photography! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by blazing fire
    kenrockwell mentioned that film cameras shoots better landscape photos than any dSLR. How true is that?
    That really depends on the camera being used.

For landscapes its the same old thing as it was in film days. In landscapes you want detail which meant in film days you used the larger format negatives to capture the detail in the scene. The same thing goes for digital. If you want to capture the detail in the scene then you need a large format sensor.

Hasselbad and the other large format camera's have moved over to digital backs and they capture a lot more detail than the Canon 5D with a 35mm sensor which will capture more detail than the Canon 50D with the APC sensor.

As for quality of the sensor's - Personally I believe that Digital is now as good or better than film.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information