Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

quality of D50 compared to 6mp p&s?

How would they compare because I have a fuji f10 with 6.3 megapixels and am saving up for a D50 with 6.1 megapixels.

D70 vs F10

Quote Originally Posted by xsport652
    How would they compare because I have a fuji f10 with 6.3 megapixels and am saving up for a D50 with 6.1 megapixels.
    I have the Fuji F10 and the D70 (which is almost identical to the D50). After thousands of pictures and a blind test I can say -

- it is very difficult to tell the two apart, even at 1600ISO. They have about the same definition and noise
    - JPG's from the D70 often look slightly under-exposed whereas the F10 ones are perfect (I believe this has been corrected on the D50)
    - RAW on the D70 is a big advantage - it's much easier to correct difficult light

Charles

Good answer, Charles!

How lucky can you get? It's usually hard to get the exact comparison you ask for. Thanks for that, Charles!

I want to add one thing to what Charles has offered. Even if you have a hard time telling teh difference between the images from a compact digital and a digital SLR, the digital SLR currently has the image quality edge because of sensor size. Compact digital cameras all use very small sensors with tiny, tiny pixels. The smaller the pixel the more problems there are with noise and other digital artifacting like fringing. Even with improved camera processors and sensors, a larger pixel will always be better. So, at least in theory, the D50 should deliver better image quality.

On the other hand, image quality isn't everything. I believe the content is much more important. For that reason, the camera that best helps you capture the photos you want is the better camera. If the D50 turns out to be a camera you leave at home all of the time, then it may not be the best camera for you. But if you are going to use it, it not only offers better image quality, but superior versatility. And you'll also be investing in a more capable system.

Hope that adds something useful for you.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Good answer, Charles!

On the other hand you need to be honest about what you're intent is and what you intend to do with the images. If I showed you two 8x12 inch prints, one made with my canon 10d and the other with a KM A2 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in quality. The differences you will notice are from the sensor size - smaller sensor=> larger dof, and inherent tonality that will vary between every camera and processing of the image. As I go bigger than 8x12 you start to notice the effects PJ refers to.

Advantages of the slr will be flexability. For example, as you go up in iso the slr images will look better because of the bigger sensor/larger pixels.

Still, while so many people keep worrying about the latest camera with the mostest, I'm amazed at how often I just grab my A2. It's small and light and has become my carry around everyday camera. I only grab my slr's when I'm aming for specific images.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I want to add one thing to what Charles has offered. Even if you have a hard time telling teh difference between the images from a compact digital and a digital SLR, the digital SLR currently has the image quality edge because of sensor size. Compact digital cameras all use very small sensors with tiny, tiny pixels. The smaller the pixel the more problems there are with noise and other digital artifacting like fringing. Even with improved camera processors and sensors, a larger pixel will always be better. So, at least in theory, the D50 should deliver better image quality.

Konica Minolta A200

I don't know if you read my Konica Minolta A200 review, but that camera is currently my favorite for high-end compact digitals. I actually had a few images I shot with the A200 published at full page size in a magazine article this summer. It's a very capable camera and I've been recommending it to people who are on the fence about digital SLRs. It's the closest thing I've used that isn't actually an SLR.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Konica Minolta A200

Hey John,

I think my sentiments on this camera are identical to yours. I just need to pay attention to the highlights. I also picked up a KM 3600 flash unit. I find the flash it trickier than with my canons and throws me a curve ball every now and then. Maybe it's experience?

I brought it and my hakuba 504 cf tripod on a recent trip to china. No slr. I finally realized when I'm traveling that I'm more into the experience of being somewhere new. I still strive for good comps, but don't leave the fun to get a shot except on a few planned occasions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't know if you read my Konica Minolta A200 review, but that camera is currently my favorite for high-end compact digitals. I actually had a few images I shot with the A200 published at full page size in a magazine article this summer. It's a very capable camera and I've been recommending it to people who are on the fence about digital SLRs. It's the closest thing I've used that isn't actually an SLR.

Thread Information