Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Promaster Polarized Filters, any good?

While searching around some local stores, I stopped by Penn Camera and saw a promaster circular polarizing filter. The price seemed reasonable so I picked it up. I haven't done any tests yet, those will come tomorrow. I can't seem to find any reviews on it. I was wondering if anyone has tried a promaster filter and if it's any good,or should I return it and get something pricier that is top quality?

(I am willing to return it and purchase a more expensive one, but being a beginner, I don't need the best and probably won't use this very often in general)
    Last edited by illxpanda; 06-22-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Re: Promaster Polarized Filters, any good?

From what I found on the internet promaster filters are basically Hoya brand filters that aren't multicoated and sold under a different name. Personally, I wouldn't skimp on a polarizer since worse polarizers tend to give the image a bit of a cast or in the case of a non-multi-coated polarizer give flare unless you're using some of the top notch glass you used to get from the german made filters in the 80's. I would recommend something from B+W since the design of those and build quality is downright fantastic. The glass they use is very specially coated to remove any ghosting and provide as even a polarizing effect as is possible even with very wide lenses. I'd compromise with run of the mill UV filters or clear filters but a polarizer definitely has a big impact on photo quality and thus you want something that will give you the best images. If you don't want to spend much the multicoated Hoyas (Hoya HMC) are great deals. If you don't mind spending some more, B+W made filters are the best stuff you can get.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Heliopan are also excellent. Skip the Promaster. Go with the big three: B+W, Heliopan, or top-of-the-line Hoya. The circular polarizer will set you back roughly $75 USD and up.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Heliopan are also excellent. Skip the Promaster. Go with the big three: B+W, Heliopan, or top-of-the-line Hoya. The circular polarizer will set you back roughly $75 USD and up.
    Actually the Tiffen filters are pretty good too; although they aren't nescessarily as durable as the others (rings are easy to bend because they are aluminium and not brass).
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information