Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Probably a stupid question about UV filters

Hi there! I'm about to buy myself a lens, as I've only ever used the one that came with my canon there are a few things I just wanted to clarify!
    1. Do all UV Filters fit on any lens (i.e. a canon 58mm UV Filter will fit on a Sigma which has a 58mm filter size)
    2.What is usually the best type of filter i.e. UV or what else??

Thanks for looking and hopefully helping me!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Probably a stupid question about UV filters

Yes, a 58mm filter will fit on any lens that has 58mm filter threads. As far as sizing goes, the brand doesn't make any difference. Quality is another story.

You will find two camps when it comes to UV filters. Some people swear by them, and don't leave home without them. Others don't use them at all, or only when conditions are really bad, like where there is blowing saltwater, or sand.

Both camps will tell you, that if you're going to get one, get a good one. Others on the site have recomended the Hoya UV(0) multi coated filter. I don't use UV filters, but others on the site love the one I mentioned.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I and many others put uv filters on just to protect the lens.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I and many others put uv filters on just to protect the lens.
    Yes thats the main reason for getting one! Well I just ordered a sigma 70-300mm and this UV filter. What do you think of the UV filter because I only have one lens and I have had the same cheap and cheerful UV filter from jessops for about a year and I dont know if it makes a difference!

There's nothing wrong with Jessops gear. By "cheap and nasty", people mean the unbranded types you might get off an Ebay seller. I use Jessops stuff myself and it will be fine provided it is clean, unscratched, etc.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    There's nothing wrong with Jessops gear. By "cheap and nasty", people mean the unbranded types you might get off an Ebay seller. I use Jessops stuff myself and it will be fine provided it is clean, unscratched, etc.

Mike
    Thanks! Have you ever heared of Hama?? Anyway, I swear there are barely any English people on here!! Good site though!

Thread Information