Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: PLEASE Help a Student Out!

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Here's one of the reviews I read for that lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

The EF-S 55-250mm IS is about $255 retail. I can speak personally as I own it, and while it doesn't compare to high end canon lenses, it's a nice lens that takes decent shots. You will lose the 50mm of range on the telephoto range though.

A review for the 55-250 from the same site, a bit more favorable than the 75-300:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

The 70-300 IS is definitely better than both of them. But I believe it runs in the $500+ range. I think used you might be able to get it for around $400.
    Yeah I did read that one review that bashed the lens, but it seems a lot of customers on the BH site were very happy with it. All those reviews seemed very positve.

Now the one you suggested (EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens for Select Digital SLR Cameras) has I.S but not USM.. One person recommended I get USM and your recommending I.S

Can someone break down what USM is and what I.S is?

And you think I shouldn't bother with the 70 - 300usm at all? As in it will be a waste of money. I know that one website ripped it to pieces but like I said.. I've read a lot of favorable reviews too.

I just did the math and I could definitely purchase the 55-250mm I.S with out breaking the bank. Should I go for it over the 70-300usm? With the 55-250mm I wont need a tripod due to the image stabalization, yes? Where as the 70 - 300mm I would almost certainly need one?
    Remember I will be shooting sports Mixed Martial Arts Cage-fighting from beside the cage and football games from the sidelines. I will be also shooting portraits but I'm sure the 50mm should handle that
    Last edited by OLC37; 02-25-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OLC37
    Can someone break down what USM is and what I.S is?

I just did the math and I could definitely purchase the 55-250mm I.S with out breaking the bank. Should I go for it over the 70-300usm? With the 55-250mm I wont need a tripod due to the image stabalization, yes? Where as the 70 - 300mm I would almost certainly need one?
    Remember I will be shooting sports Mixed Martial Arts Cage-fighting from beside the cage and football games from the sidelines. I will be also shooting portraits but I'm sure the 50mm should handle that
    You mean the 75-300, there, right? The 70-300 is more expensive.

USM part of the AF system design, it's the newer motor design. I believe Sigma's HSM is a similar motor. It's quieter, faster, and more efficient than the older motor design.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...d=7337&id=2648

IS stands for Image Stabilization. IS compensates for hand shake and allows you to hand hold at slower shutter speeds, and get sharper photos at telephoto ranges without the need of a tripod.

Every brand has their own trademark term for it. Sigma uses Optical Stabilization (OS) and Tamron uses Vibration Control (VC).

Personally, at 300mm I always had trouble hand-holding and getting good shots without IS. But if you have steady hands and arms and good technique, you may have better luck than me.

I've never used the 75-300 so I can't say anything from personal experience. I've just always heard image quality is very poor on it.

For football, you may have trouble catching action on the opposite end of the field. And remember that you don't have a great aperture on either lens fully extended. This means you need slower shutter speeds (less ability to stop action and more hand shake if you are IS-less). If you have good light, this will be less of a problem. If you got bad light.. well, then you have problems.

You'll also not be able to crop as deep with either lens. I do like the 55-250, but there was always a big limit on how far I could crop without losing sharpness. I expect similar limitations from the 75-300. These are low end consumer lenses, and you do get what you pay for when it comes to glass.

MMA-- is this inside or out? You'll need to use a flash for indoor use. Neither of them are fast lenses.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose

MMA-- is this inside or out? You'll need to use a flash for indoor use. Neither of them are fast lenses.
    MMA is inside, I will be located right next to the cage where the two competitors fight. A flash would be a big no no as it would distract/temporary blind the fighters. Your telling me those two lenses will be obsolete for capturing the action with out a flash?

damn.. :mad2:

Pretty much... unless there is very really good lighting. Even then... it's hard to say if you'd get much. The 70-300 is the same boat on that. That's a pure aperture problem. The lenses aren't nearly wide enough to get enough light.

Shooting ISO 800 at 3.5 or 4 (so fully zoomed out on either)... maybe, but wouldn't be stop action. You'd be shooting at low shutter speeds. You can go to ISO1600, but Canon doesn't produce very good images at 1600 (IMHO)... tons of noise.

You might be able to use the 50mm if you're close enough to the action. 1.8 at iso 800... you might be able to pull it off. If you're right next to the fighters the long lenses might actually be too close to frame a shot well.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

fwiw, I fight in amateur MMA matches and the lights tend to be rather strong. They typically have a large flood light on each corner of the cage, so you are looking at 6-8 lights covering the area (the rest of the place is typically dark)
    Now i dont know if that helps you or not, but one of our guys also takes pictures and video with his T1i during those fightnights, from the top of the cage. I will ask him how they come out and post his opinion. Keep in my he is not a pro by any means, but his opinion may help a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information