Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pitch Tent... Camp Canon or Camp Nikon?

I am making the move to digital and already have two digital cameras and will be looking for a third shortly.

Camera shots tend to show that Canon has better noise control particularly at high ISOs but sharpness slightly lower than Nikon's. Canon moves faster in the area of innovation and new products. Nikon has better sharpness but more noise. Nikon also is renowned for a solid build and an extensive series of lens and support products. Top lenses and flash units of both can be very expensive in comparison with third parties. The quality of original manufacturer lenses and support may be better or just advertising. You need to do the research to find out which it is.

It is indeed a difficult choice and unfortunately compromises have to be made with any product at any price level. You need to look at your style and the type of photography that you do, and sort out which would be the best quality, most comfortably designed product to meet your needs.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I am making the move to digital and already have two digital cameras and will be looking for a third shortly.

Camera shots tend to show that Canon has better noise control particularly at high ISOs but sharpness slightly lower than Nikon's. Canon moves faster in the area of innovation and new products. Nikon has better sharpness but more noise. Nikon also is renowned for a solid build and an extensive series of lens and support products. Top lenses and flash units of both can be very expensive in comparison with third parties. The quality of original manufacturer lenses and support may be better or just advertising. You need to do the research to find out which it is.

It is indeed a difficult choice and unfortunately compromises have to be made with any product at any price level. You need to look at your style and the type of photography that you do, and sort out which would be the best quality, most comfortably designed product to meet your needs.

Ronnoco
    There is no difference in the sharpness capability of a Canon or Nikon. The difference is Nikon starts off with a high preset sharpness, while Canon leaves room for those wanting a softer starting point, but that can be changed in camera.
    Nikon renowned for a solid build? You are joking right? If Nikon's build and quality is so good, why then do they have so many failures of new gear? I know one photog who has purchased 4 bodies this year, and ALL 4 have failed, one while shooting the state gymnastics finals last week. That is the 6th Nikon body to fail in the last year at that paper, all before the bodies were 6 months old. Not one made it to 20,000 shots. Meanwhile it takes up to two months for Nikon to return the gear.
    The worst part of it is each model has it's own parts that continue to fail. Nikon knows the issues with each body, but does not fix it or revise the production models to repair the problem. They keep producing units they know will fail or have a potential to fail and do not take care of it in production because of retooling costs. Instead they sell a inferior cameras hoping they won't go over a certain number of failures (the number that would equal retooling costs).
    A few years ago they continued producing cameras where the meters failed. Nikon kept on making them, even though they had a fix they didn't use it in the production line until they had a certain number of failures. Two newer bodies also have issues, one their top pro model being sold now is prone to taking "black pictures". Thats what occured to the 4 bodies the news photog I know had.
    There is talk that the paper wants to change gear now because of all the Nikon failures, however it may be a company wide change, where all the papers get all new Canon bodies and lenses, 24 bodies in all replacing 12 Nikon bodies and upgrading 10 Canon 1D bodies so everyone will have 1D MKII N's. The company will not buy anymore Nikon gear though.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    one their top pro model being sold now is prone to taking "black pictures".
    In all fairness, that was the D2H. The current D2Hs has the "fix", I understand. Pretty scary statistics though!

My wife got me a Canon with a 50mm F2 lense and a cheap 125mm Telephoto, basicaly an Aperture-Priority manual focus camera. After the first roll of slide film that camera went back. The photos just didn't have the snap. The next cheap kit camera was a Nikon EM, basicaly an Aperture-Priority manual focus camera, and the photos out of it had the snap, just like the photos out of the Leotax (Leica cone) it still lives in the old Leica Camera Case.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    In all fairness, that was the D2H. The current D2Hs has the "fix", I understand. Pretty scary statistics though!
    Apparently not, the D2Hs is also failing at un-Godly rates.... 4 yes, 4 today at the basketball state finals! Plus 2 D2H and 2 others...ALL Nikons, meanwhile there was not single Canon 1D series failure today, although one Canon TV camera crapped out, then they realized someone unplugged it
    One Nikon shooter left this morning after his new camera died and returned with a new MKII N and two new Canon lenses...he had enough of Nikon.
    Ok, I'm done picking on Nikon now...

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Given the ammount of used Pentax glass floating around, and the fact that the new whiz-bang digital cameras can use them, your choice was wise from the standpoint of the glass (which is what counts when you get down to it). With care, KEH and the New York stores could be a good way to enlarge your lens collection without mortgaging the house!

I just wanted to make a comment about outsourcing. It was mentioned earlier in this thread as a reason why one brand might be inferior to another. As someone who works in "high-tech" manufacturing, I'd like to just say that there's pretty much nothing you can buy these days that was made completely by the name stamped on the outside of it. Everybody outsources, and in such general terms, it doesn't really mean anything, good or bad. It all still depends on the parent company having a good design and maintaining quality controls.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    There is no difference in the sharpness capability of a Canon or Nikon. The difference is Nikon starts off with a high preset sharpness, while Canon leaves room for those wanting a softer starting point, but that can be changed in camera.
    Nikon renowned for a solid build? You are joking right? If Nikon's build and quality is so good, why then do they have so many failures of new gear? I know one photog who has purchased 4 bodies this year, and ALL 4 have failed, one while shooting the state gymnastics finals last week. That is the 6th Nikon body to fail in the last year at that paper, all before the bodies were 6 months old. Not one made it to 20,000 shots. Meanwhile it takes up to two months for Nikon to return the gear.
    The worst part of it is each model has it's own parts that continue to fail. Nikon knows the issues with each body, but does not fix it or revise the production models to repair the problem. They keep producing units they know will fail or have a potential to fail and do not take care of it in production because of retooling costs. Instead they sell a inferior cameras hoping they won't go over a certain number of failures (the number that would equal retooling costs).
    A few years ago they continued producing cameras where the meters failed. Nikon kept on making them, even though they had a fix they didn't use it in the production line until they had a certain number of failures. Two newer bodies also have issues, one their top pro model being sold now is prone to taking "black pictures". Thats what occured to the 4 bodies the news photog I know had.
    There is talk that the paper wants to change gear now because of all the Nikon failures, however it may be a company wide change, where all the papers get all new Canon bodies and lenses, 24 bodies in all replacing 12 Nikon bodies and upgrading 10 Canon 1D bodies so everyone will have 1D MKII N's. The company will not buy anymore Nikon gear though.

JS
    And yet, if you read the Internet forums, Canon is also having its own problems with quality control....Error 9 and having to take out the batteries and putting them back in again ...problems with the 20D etc. It seems there are disatisfied purchasers in both camps. I have no particular bias either way and will probably wait for what I want in design, features, and capability. I have not seen it yet.

Ronnoco

Very true about outsourcing or companies opening up their own plants in other countries. It's all a matter of how the company (or purchaser of outsourced components) handles the quality. My car was made by a German company in their own Mexican factory. It has the best "fit & finish" and reliability of any car I've ever owned - yet this surprises people occasionally.

Nikon has problems; Canon has problems - Ford has problems; Chevy has problems...;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information