Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Unhappy Pentax K10D or Nikon D200

After a long discussion with a Nikon D200 (3 camera) owner I find myself in a bit of a quandry. He highly recommends the Nikon but dollar for dollar the Pentax does seem to be a fine camera. Recognizing the merits of the two cameras it seems to come down to:

1. quality of the basic camera and how I might "grow" into it as an amateur
    2. Lens choices and availability in both the new and used market to add to the basic camera.
    3. Is Nikon the better choice simply because of reputation, lens availability/quality or?

finally as an aside to the decision issue. What feedback can anyone offer on ebay purchases from Cameta, especially for factory demo models which in the case of the Nikon are very well priced.

Re: Pentax K10D or Nikon D200

There is no doubt (and practically every reviewer has said as much) that the K10D is a seriously good camera. Pentax at one time was the brand to own and the K10D does an awful lot to put them back in with the big boys. I have always had Pentaxes myself, so am a little biased, but I can say that the K10D is the best camera I have ever owned, and I have had a fair few. It is a camera you are not likely to outgrow - it has just about all the features and functionality of the D200 but at a lot less money. One reviewer called it an equivalent to the D200 but at a D80 price and, in my view, that is a fair assessment. If you do go down that route, you won't regret it.

Having said that, there is an undoubted problem with availability of third party accessories and lenses. Nikon and Canon, being the big boys, have a LOT more independent lenses, flashes, etc, available for them than for the Pentaxes. If you intend building up a whole kit then this might be something you need to consider. Pentax DO make lenses, flashes, battery packs, etc - but you are more limited in choice.

The other thing to consider is the indefinable "X" factor - does it feel good and right in your hands? The best thing is to narrow your search down to a couple and then get them in your hands. Sometimes the "right" camera for you then becomes obvious. I wouldn't downplay this factor - all the big manufacturers make fine cameras and you will get along just fine with whatever brand you buy, but sometimes one just feels more like it's part of you.

Be careful about online purchases .. you don't get to play with them first, and there are a lot of scam artists around. Stick with a tried and tested company - the camera dealer feedback forum will help with that.

I hope this helps, and let us all know what you finally decide.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Didache; 09-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

First, I'd take a look at Mike's photos and the honors he's received. His advice is sound.

Second, Cameta is one of ebays good dealers. I bought my D80 from them and their professionalism and customer support were top notch.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Sad to say..

After years of buying equipment - and having to change systems - I have a very pragmatic approach:

1. Go for number 1 or 2 in the market. They will survive and continue to support their systems. Don't go for number 4 or 5, they're struggling to survive
    2. The best is usually more expensive. But there's no point in going over the top. Understand what your needs are and don't waste your money on something you will not be satisfied with in 6 months
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I agree with Mike as well...
    I own a K10D, K110D, Nikon D40, D200 and a Fuji as well...I can tell you that hands down in my opinion the K10D is my favorite...Where it really shines is in low light conditions and when using telephoto lenses...
    I also do not see the handicap of the lenses as being an issue...
    I own a standard pentax 18-55mm lens,
    Tamron 70-300
    Tamrom 28-300
    Sigma 70-300
    Sigma 90mm f2/8 macro
    Sigma 135-400
    Sigma 50-500..There is nothing I can't shoot with great results...In addition, Pentax just came out with a F1.8 50 and 70mm lens.. I don't have those yet, but will soon...
    Also the K10D with the battery Grip is a huge bonus..I can go shoot 5 gigs worth of pictures before a re-charge..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thread Information