Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

RAW Format, *ist DS and Photoshop?

I tried the RAW plugin on the Pentax site for the *ist D but Photoshop will not read the files. I cannot see a RAW plugin for the *ist DS anywhere. I can open the files using the Pentax software but I am thiinking that I may as well just shoot in Jpeg until there is a RAW plugin available as the Pentax sofware is at best rudimentary!

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks.

Pete D

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: RAW Format, *ist DS and Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by peted56
    I tried the RAW plugin on the Pentax site for the *ist D but Photoshop will not read the files. I cannot see a RAW plugin for the *ist DS anywhere. I can open the files using the Pentax software but I am thiinking that I may as well just shoot in Jpeg until there is a RAW plugin available as the Pentax sofware is at best rudimentary!
    If Adobe is not on the ball (the *ist has been out for a very long time) try BreezeBrowser or Bibble. Both of these products handle *ist RAW files with all the bells and whistles. Both have demo versions to test the product.

Also, try not to crosspost. Most people read more than one forum. Crossposting just leads to confusion!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    If Adobe is not on the ball (the *ist has been out for a very long time) try BreezeBrowser or Bibble. Both of these products handle *ist RAW files with all the bells and whistles. Both have demo versions to test the product.

Also, try not to crosspost. Most people read more than one forum. Crossposting just leads to confusion!
    Photoshop Elements 3.0 reads it - it's actually quite a nice and powerful program and only $99
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

He has the *ist DS. It hasn't been out that long. Apparently, even though the extension is the same as the *ist D RAW files, the files are a little bit different. It doesn't surprise me that Adobe doen't have a converter available yet. I'm not saying they shouldn't have one - they should. It just doesn't surprise me.

As for using Bibble and BreezeBrowser, I'm all for it. I have Photoshop CS, but I still use BreezeBrowser for browsing my RAW files because it's so much faster than the Photoshop browser. And the little guys are sometimes faster than Adobe at delivering new conversion software.

By the way, for all of you using Photoshop CS, BreezeBrowser, etc, we need more software reviews. And there is a contest until the end of the month. You have a few more days before the end of the year to post your reviews and qualify to win the Pentax Optio SV.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Apologies for posting this twice but I posted the other one first and then realised that the D-SLR forum would be a much better place to post.

Yes there is a plugin for the D model but not the DS, looks like I will have to wait or use the Pentax software and convert to TIFF. Really most of most photography will be fine done with JPEG but I would prefer the option to shoot with RAW when I want to and then use that in the software of my choice.

Thanks all.

Pete D

Zoom

You need CameraRaw 2.4beta plugin - that's all.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Are you sure it's in there? According to the documentation the 2.4 beta only adds the following cameras:

Canon EOS 20D
    Canon PowerShot S70
    Canon PowerShot G6
    Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
    Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200
    Konica Minolta MAXXUM 7D
    Nikon D2X

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

BreezeBrowser

I was on the BreezeBrowser site yesterday and they have Pentax *ist DS RAW support. And if you wonder why you'd want any software besides Photoshop - I use BreezeBrowser as a browser as well as for RAW conversion. It's a much faster and more efficient image browser. The Photoshop browser is way too slow to be practical.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ranter and raver.

In Adobe's defense, they are rarely provide with RAW files to work with before a camera comes out from any manufacturer. Someone from Adobe came to the dpreview.com Pentax SLR forum the first day anyone had received a shipment asking for RAW files to work with so that they could come up with a plugin. This is, apparently, common practice, and not at all limited to Pentax.

And yes, the DS' RAW files are different from the D's. Most new cameras have RAW formats slightly improved from the previous version.

A lot of people also swear by Capture One by Phase One:
    http://www.phaseone.com/

Thread Information