Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

RAW Format, *ist DS and Photoshop?

I tried the RAW plugin on the Pentax site for the *ist D but Photoshop will not read the files. I cannot see a RAW plugin for the *ist DS anywhere. I can open the files using the Pentax software but I am thiinking that I may as well just shoot in Jpeg until there is a RAW plugin available!

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks.

Pete D

Re: RAW Format, *ist DS and Photoshop?

Adobe's site only shows the *ist D, not the DS yet. Here's the page that shows what cameras that currently work with Camera Raw: http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...l?camerarawnav

I've heard that even though two cameras are from the same manufacturer, the way the files are read can be a little different - that's probably why the D plug-in doesn't work with the DS. Should just be a matter of time before the DS plug-in is out.

Did the camera come with a RAW converter? If not, you could either get (buy?) theirs or shoot jpeg until Adobe gets it done.

Pentax Software?

I assume you have RAW conversion software from Pentax that came with the camera? You can use that software to do your RAW conversions, save the files as TIFFs, and then use Photoshop for further editing. That way you can shot RAW until there's a *ist DS plug-in available for Photoshop. If you want to shoot RAW, that's the best thing to do. You will likely regret irt if you shoot JPEGs now. I shoot RAW mostly for long-term archive purposes. I don't usually use the RAW files since most of my photos go straight to the Web. I only use the RAW files for serious printing. I can't remember - does the *ist DS have the option of capturing JPEG and RAW at the same time? If so, that's what I do. That's a great compromise if you need JPEG and RAW files.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yes I have the RAW conversion software from Pentax but would simply prefer to use Photoshop. JPEG will be perfectly fine for most of my photography but I still want the option to use RAW and use the tools of my choice. The plugin for the D model does not work with files from the DS model, I am sure Adobe will have them soon but the DS has been out for some time.

Thanks.

Pete D

I see Adobe has a Beta version of CR 2.4 that can be downloaded here:

Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2682

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2682

It adds some new cameras - but - not the DS. Probably not a good sign for you...

Thread Information