Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Optical Zoom to SLR Lenses

This may be a really dumb question and please don't laugh to hard if it is... I am looking into upgrading my camera (Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom) to a SLR. Right now I am looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XT. My camera right now has an optical zoom of 10x and I'm would like to know what time of mm lens I would need to buy that would have simular results. If there is no way of converting one to the other thats fine, I'll just find one but if there is and anyone knows, please help!
    -Kevin

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Optical Zoom to SLR Lenses

Hey Kevin,

The C-765 has a zoom range that is equal to 38-380mm. I don't think there is any lens that will cover that range by itself. The only lens I know of that covers a 10x optical zoom range is the Sigma 50-500mm which sells for about $1000. Chances are you will have to buy a couple zoom lenses to get the same coverage that your C-765 gives you.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Optical Zoom to SLR Lenses

And the 50-500 is about the size of a football... The "kit" lens is probably a good starting point, and should be about 18-70mm. It won't be anywhere near as long on the telephoto end, but you could also add a 70-300mm lens.

The equivalent focal length in mm is compared against 35mm. With a Rebel XT you would multiply the lenses you would use on that camera by 1.6 to get the 35mm equivalent for that camera, because the sensor is that much smaller than 35mm film.

Thanks for the help, this give me a good idea what to get.
    -Kevin

Thread Information