Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Opinions please

Opinions please

I have narrowed down my selections and would like opinions. For the Canon 40 D the Canon 10 -22, Here's one concern the Sigma 24 -70 EX CG F2.8 I would like the Canon 24 - 105 F4 L IS but that really blows the budget. Next I have lowered my expectations again to the Canon 70 - 200 F4 L non IS (wanted the IS too much). The sales person recommended the Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8 II EX DG HSM.

What I am trying to ask is my lens selection for all around advanced amature use.

And choosing between the 2 all around zooms, the Sigma 24-70 vs Canon 24-105. I know the Canon is probably better but should I save a few bucks and go for the Sigma. Might I be making a big mistake?

Lastly is it better to go for the Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 for the aperture over the Canon 70-200 F4.

Opinions?

Oh the Canon 580 EX II Strobe.

Thanks
    Neal
    Miami
    Last edited by kenkolen; 01-27-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Re: Opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by kenkolen
    I have narrowed down my selections and would like opinions. For the Canon 40 D the Canon 10 -22, Here's one concern the Sigma 24 -70 EX CG F2.8 I would like the Canon 24 - 105 F4 L IS but that really blows the budget. Next I have lowered my expectations again to the Canon 70 - 200 F4 L non IS (wanted the IS too much). The sales person recommended the Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8 II EX DG HSM.

What I am trying to ask is my lens selection for all around advanced amature use.

And choosing between the 2 all around zooms, the Sigma 24-70 vs Canon 24-105. I know the Canon is probably better but should I save a few bucks and go for the Sigma. Might I be making a big mistake?

Lastly is it better to go for the Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 for the aperture over the Canon 70-200 F4.

Opinions?

Oh the Canon 580 EX II Strobe.

Thanks
    Neal
    Miami
    I can't offer an opinion on the Sigma 24-70 vs the Canon 24-105 as I am an owner of the Canon 24-70 f2.8L and would not give it up. I can speak about the 70-200 f2.8 Sigma. I own the 70-200 f2.8L from Canon. A few weeks after I upgraded my 70-200 f4L to the 2.8 version the camera shop I use got in the Sigma version. I have know the owner for 30+ year so he handed me the Sigma, told me to take it for a couple of days and tell him what I though. I took it and put it through its paces.

Compared to the Canon 70-200 f2.8L the build quality is not quite as good, but far superior to most lenses including any of Canon's non L. glass. It feels quite solid.

Optically again it was very close to the Canon. It produced sharp, well saturated images. I thought the Sigma produced slightly cooler images, but that may have been the copy I shot. Auto focus was fast and accurate, even in low light.

My one complaint was with the zoom ring, and it is a minor complaint. It turns in the opposite direction of Canon zoom rings. After a few minutes I got used to it and was zooming the direction I wanted. The very lens I shot was subsequently purchased by one of the store employees as he shoots for the state high school sports magazine. He has had no complaints what so ever. Here is full review of the lens.
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...report--review

Thread Information