Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Which one?

lav

Which one?

Hi all, Im new here, looks like a great place and im hoping to spend some more time here once i get my new camera.

I have a question which some one may be able to help me with. I have read many reviews, forums and have spent a little while here even reading the posts. I have very little photographic experience so bare with me.

Im looking at purchasing a DSLR very soon. I have a graphic design business with an increasing demand for product shots of things like food, industrial equipment and other products which it will be mainly used for but i dont want a camera which is good for nothing but.

I have a budget of around AU$1500-$1900. I have looked at (briefly) the Canon EOS 400D which i can get for around AU$1000 and the Pentax K10D which i may be able to get for around $1900.

Finally my question I am thinking maybe i'd be better off going the 400D and using the leftover money to purchase another lens as well as hopefully some lighting. Or should I spend as much as I can to get the best camera I can offord.

I dont want to "grow out" of the camera too quickly and Im a little worried the 400D is not the professionals choice but more of a hobbyists camera, please tell me otherwise.

Any other suggestions on what you think would be the best option for me would be would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys....

Re: Which one?

If you are asking us what camera, you ARE NOT ready to buy a DSLR.

First, decide what features you need/want. This will most likely be determined by what it is you want to shoot. Do some research on the different cameras you might be interested in. Then do some researh on the lenses, accessories etc for that camera. Then compare the cameras on you list. Here is a good place to do so.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp.

Once you have narrowed down your choices then go to a photography store and try out the cameras you are interested in. Hold them, get a feel for the controls, examine the potential lenses and accessories that you will want/need. Shoot some pictures with the cameras you decide you like. A good photography store will let you do so.

The one we have here even has a computer and monitor set up to allow you to review the photos right then and there. Once you decide on what you want, then look for the best deal. With a DSLR you are not buying a camera, you are buying a system. Good glass, taken care of, will last a lifetime. DSLR bodies will come and go.

Then look for the best deal you can afford.

Good luck.

I Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    If you are asking us what camera, you ARE NOT ready to buy a DSLR.
    I don't agree at all. He's asking which of the two different SLRs and what buying strategy would be best. I don't see why his question would indicate that he's not ready to buy a digital SLR.

Also, he can compare both cameras right here, on PhotographyREVIEW.com. There's no need to leave the friendliest photography site on the Web. Here's a link to page that compares the specs of both cameras and links to user reviews for both:

Compare Canon EOS 400D and Pentax K10D Digital SLRs >>

I do agree that handling both cameras for feel and fit is a good idea. The Canon 400D is a bit smaller than the new Pentax and if you have big hands that might be a problem. I like the strategy of saving some money on the body in order to invest in a second or better lens. For studio work you don't need a super expensive camera - only one with great image quality. And the 400D certainly has that.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

lav

Thanks for the link photo-john.

I went and handled a couple of camera's yesterday. To be honest i didnt mind the feel of the 400d and considering it will be used more often than not on a tripod set up for food photography and the only other use maybe me taking it on a hike with my family (in which its lightweight will be a bonus) . I think i would end up with a better deal going with the 400d, I also looked at the 30D (not to buy) but it is a camera that i think i would really like to upgrade to eventually, hence maybe being able to use any lenses that i buy.

The guy at the camera shop also made my decision a little harder by showing me the Nikon D80, aaahhhh decisions, decisions, I think im talking myself into the canon.....

Quote Originally Posted by lav
    The guy at the camera shop also made my decision a little harder by showing me the Nikon D80, aaahhhh decisions, decisions, I think im talking myself into the canon.....
    I really believe we've reached the point where all current digital SLRs are great cameras. So what you're actually buying is entry into a system. Each camera will have a few features that make it stand out from the rest. But they'll all deliver great image quality and have all the basic, necessary functionality. So it's important to put aside the price consideration for a minute and think about the system that you're buying into. Do you like what it has to offer? Are there lenses you think you might want later or does another manufacturer make them? Is the upgrade path a good one for you? Do you need an upgrade path?

I'm partial to the Canon because I've got tons of Canon lenses and I know the system inside and out. But I have no doubt that the D80 will serve you well, too. We could talk about the relative benefits of Nikon vs. Canon, but you can do a search and find plenty of those already exist

Good luck making your decision. Let us know what you finally buy!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information