Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon d90 or Canon Rebel t1i?

Hiya, I know this is probably another "what camera should I buy" topic but I desperately need the help figuring out which camera I should choose. I've been saving up my "Camera Fund" for quite some time and I think i've narrowed it down to two cameras, Nikon d90 and Canon Rebel t1i.

I am pretty much a beginner with DSLR cameras but I do not want a camera that is too "beginner" that I would be done with the camera in a few months. I want to choose a camera that will last a while and takes professional quality images.

I will mostly be using the camera on my upcoming American Southwest Trip (includes going to the Grand Canyon) and Ireland Trip. If you guys have any suggestions on what camera you think I should buy even if it's another camera, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help!
    -Marie

Re: Nikon d90 or Canon Rebel t1i?

The thing that distinguishes the entry level and the pro SLRs are feature set, not image quality. In fact, often times the entry levels use the same image sensors as the pro bodies. The feature set difference usually involves weather sealing and body build, framerate, tactile interface, number of AF points, etc.

That said they are both fine cameras, great IQ, you can't go wrong either way, if there is even a slight inclination on your part for one over the other, trust your gut. What was it that made those 2 on your short list anyway?

Re: Nikon d90 or Canon Rebel t1i?

I encourage you to take both cameras in your hands with the lens you are thinking of buying one after another and see which one you like best.

The D90 has a much nicer viewfinder and a more solid feel to it but it is also quite a lot heavier than the T1i. I like to have a heavy camera (D300) when I'm doing something serious because the weight adds stability. However when I'm on holiday walking around with it all day in my back with three lenses I choose my lightweight D60 (with lightweight lenses as well).

BTW I think the D5000 is a closer equivalent to the T1i than the D90.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information