Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability

Hi to all,

I'm looking at getting my wife this Camera for xmas. She already owns a Rebel eos 2000. I read somewhere that the Rebel 2000 lenses may be compatible with the T1i.... if that is so, then what lens should I get with the new T1i? She already has a 28-80mm and 75-300mm lenses. I know nothing about camera's, so any and all input is appreciated. TIA

Dave

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability

Welcome to the Forums. Both of your wife's current lenses will work on the T1i. Your wife's current lenses cover a pretty good range but she may want something that goes wider than 28mm. The lenses she already has will act a little differently on the T1i because of the size of the sensor. The sensor is a little bit smaller than a 35mm film frame so her field of view will be a little narrower than what she is use to seeing on her film camera. Because of this, I think a wider angle lens would be a good fit with what she already has. Something like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The 18-135mm IS lens is another option. I haven't used any of these lenses so I don't know what the quality is like.

Since she already has 2 lenses that will work on her camera, you could get her the camera body alone, without a lens and save $100.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forums. Both of your wife's current lenses will work on the T1i. Your wife's current lenses cover a pretty good range but she may want something that goes wider than 28mm. The lenses she already has will act a little differently on the T1i because of the size of the sensor. The sensor is a little bit smaller than a 35mm film frame so her field of view will be a little narrower than what she is use to seeing on her film camera. Because of this, I think a wider angle lens would be a good fit with what she already has. Something like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The 18-135mm IS lens is another option. I haven't used any of these lenses so I don't know what the quality is like.

Since she already has 2 lenses that will work on her camera, you could get her the camera body alone, without a lens and save $100.

Mike,
    Thank You so much for the reply. Looks like all I may need to get for now would be the camera body, let her decide if she needs any other lenses. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

Dave

Thread Information