• 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
    ldman
    EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability
    Hi to all,

I'm looking at getting my wife this Camera for xmas. She already owns a Rebel eos 2000. I read somewhere that the Rebel 2000 lenses may be compatible with the T1i.... if that is so, then what lens should I get with the new T1i? She already has a 28-80mm and 75-300mm lenses. I know nothing about camera's, so any and all input is appreciated. TIA

Dave
  • 12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
    mjs1973
    Re: EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability
    Welcome to the Forums. Both of your wife's current lenses will work on the T1i. Your wife's current lenses cover a pretty good range but she may want something that goes wider than 28mm. The lenses she already has will act a little differently on the T1i because of the size of the sensor. The sensor is a little bit smaller than a 35mm film frame so her field of view will be a little narrower than what she is use to seeing on her film camera. Because of this, I think a wider angle lens would be a good fit with what she already has. Something like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The 18-135mm IS lens is another option. I haven't used any of these lenses so I don't know what the quality is like.

Since she already has 2 lenses that will work on her camera, you could get her the camera body alone, without a lens and save $100.
  • 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
    ldman
    Re: EOS Rebel T1i and lens compatability
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forums. Both of your wife's current lenses will work on the T1i. Your wife's current lenses cover a pretty good range but she may want something that goes wider than 28mm. The lenses she already has will act a little differently on the T1i because of the size of the sensor. The sensor is a little bit smaller than a 35mm film frame so her field of view will be a little narrower than what she is use to seeing on her film camera. Because of this, I think a wider angle lens would be a good fit with what she already has. Something like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The 18-135mm IS lens is another option. I haven't used any of these lenses so I don't know what the quality is like.

Since she already has 2 lenses that will work on her camera, you could get her the camera body alone, without a lens and save $100.

Mike,
    Thank You so much for the reply. Looks like all I may need to get for now would be the camera body, let her decide if she needs any other lenses. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

Dave