Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: nickon d5000

nickon d5000

i am on the verge of buying the nikon d5000 and this will be my 1st digital slr i am looking at buying the twin lense kit and would like to know will this be a good camera for sports photography as i will use it when my son plays footy and hockey and when my daughter plays netball. i had a fujifilm finepix s5700 that took ok pics befor the lense stoped working and i currently have a little point and shoot fujifilm wich cost $100 and dosent take very good pics at all thanks

sorry about spelling mistake in title
    Last edited by lukesdogs; 02-24-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Re: nickon d5000

When doing sports photography you need 3 things:

- a telephoto zoom lens. You got this in the kit
    - good autofocus which can follow a moving subject. The D5000 has a very good autofocus unit used in professional models (D200). Your kit lens is not as fast to autofocus as a professional lens but it should be adequate
    - fast shutter speed to freeze action which means a camera that can go to high ISO without noise. Your D5000 can go all the way to 6400 ISO - more than enough for outdoors and maybe even enough for indoor sports (a pro model would be better)

I think your D5000 kit should be fine. Set it on sports mode to start with - it will do all the complex stuff like choosing continuous focussing and high shutter speed itself
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: nickon d5000

* New 2.7-in. 230k-dot Vari-angle monitor swings down approximately 90° and rotates 180°
    * Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor with 12.3 effective megapixels and Integrated Dust Reduction System
    * Specially designed EXPEED image processing system
    * One-touch access to Live View, which includes face priority AF and subject tracking
    * D-SLR movie function: D-Movie, selectable from 320 x 216 pixels, 640 x 424 pixels or 1,280 x 720 pixels in AVI format
    * 19 Scene Modes that automatically adjust exposure, image processing, Active D-Lighting and other settings for superior image quality
    * Scene Recognition System, utilizing 420-pixel RGB sensor, improves autofocus, auto exposure and auto white balance performance and is also integrated with the Face Detection System
    * Active D-Lighting for smooth tone reproduction in high-contrast environments
    * Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module featuring 11 AF points provides fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame
    * Picture Control System offers Portrait and Landscape options for more vibrant customized colors
    * Extensive palette of in-camera Retouch Menus including several new retouch options such as Soft Filter and Color Outline
    * Incredibly low-noise performance throughout a wide sensitivity range of ISO 200 to 3200; can be set to ISO 100 and ISO 6400 equivalents
    * Viewfinder with approx. 95% frame coverage and an easy-to-view 17.9 mm eyepoint (at -1.0 m-1)
    * Up to 4 fps continuous shooting
    * Built-in pop-up flash with Nikon's original i-TTL flash control
    * Highly efficient energy-saving design that allows approx. 510 images on a single charge of the Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9a (CIPA standard, with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and flash fired at full power once every other shot.)
    * Compatible with HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output
    * Included Nikon ViewNX software makes browsing and organizing your images easy
    * Optional photo-editing software Capture NX 2 allows quick and easy photo editing
    * Lightweight compact body

Thread Information