Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

I teach 6-8th grade and would like to have students do some more in-depth photography.

I would like to do shots where the shutter is open for a long period of time and the student can whip around a sparkler to get a really cool effect.

I would also like the camera to have non-automatic options so that I can actually focus it myself and turn off the flash

So, since i have really messed with photography for 20 years, I was wondering if someone could suggest a digital SLR camera that can do the above listed things. I dont need any pro level stuff....yet

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Newbie Question

Literally any DSLR out there will be capable of everything you ask and more

I would suggest you start out with a basic low-end Nikon, Canon, or Pentax DSLR. Nikon and Canon are the big players.

A Nikon D40 kit with the AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II lens can now be bought from B&H Photo/Video for $479. All you'll need is a standard SD memory card and you can be snapping away for the lowest prices in DSLR history.

I don't assume you'll be building a massive system out of this, but if you were to choose to do so, Nikon has a reputation for very high quality consumer lenses. While the D40 doesn't have the same level of lens compatibility that its big brother the D80 has, almost every Nikon lens released in the past 6 years and many from before will function without limitations.

The greater part of my lower-end expertise is with the Nikon system, though I've used the major bodies from each brand. Overall, I think the Nikons are very compelling offerings so I'll give you a bit of info on some good choices for the lower end Nikon DSLRs.

The D40 has a very nice user interface on its 2.5" rear LCD, and its information displays can be configured to not just show the numbers of the f/stop, shutter speed, etc, but also show you a graphic representation by default. As you change the aperture setting, an aperture graphic will change to show how this will affect it, and as the shutter speed changes another graphic goes with it. Very neat and a great way to get the kids to start to understand what they're doing as they change settings.

If you want greater lens compatibility at the same or lower price, a used or refurbished D50 would be a safe bet. Same sensor (d40 has a newer and more advanced image processing engine), smaller LCD, top panel info display, autofocus with legacy lenses, and great image quality.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any further questions, clarifications, etc.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thank you for that reply Cadet, the Nikon d40 does sound and look cool.

haha, you teach 6th graders andd your username is Suffocate??

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Any camera with a bulb setting or even shutter speeds of 30 sec will do what you want.
    I would think all dslr cameras have a bulb setting but I know some point and shoot ones do also as my Nikon 8700 did. Unless you are planning on further experiments/lessons with light and photography save some money and get a point and shoot of which many have manual settings.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Any camera with a bulb setting or even shutter speeds of 30 sec will do what you want.
    I would think all dslr cameras have a bulb setting but I know some point and shoot ones do also as my Nikon 8700 did. Unless you are planning on further experiments/lessons with light and photography save some money and get a point and shoot of which many have manual settings.
    Thx for that reply, i have bought 7 point and shooters for my school... most were the Kodak c785's or something like that.... But ya cant manually focus those suckers or anything.

sounds like you need a Pentax K10D!

cheap and very, very capable

it doesn't sound like you're going to do alot of photogrpahy so it hink its the best option for you

or go for the K100D Super, which is half the price and an exeptionally good camera for the price

does everything you will ever need

you may also consider a D50 or D70 from Nikon. they are older models, but are still good. youd probably have to go to the used market for them though, dont know if you would mind that or not

Thread Information