Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What kind of camera should I get?!

Hey guys, I know NOTHING about cameras. I want a DSLR camera that I can go out on my bike and take pictures with. I'd like to be able to take pictures with long exposures. Like I said I have no idea about cameras and dont want to spend a killing, maybe around 200-250. Nothing too fancy or current, if you guys could show me some cameras or tell me what to look out for on ebay/CL?!

Re: What kind of camera should I get?!

Did you mean to post this in Digital SLR's? You are asking about a point and shoot, of which I'd advise one with emphasis on rugged build for your biking. Olympus Tough series should be found close enough to your price range. (Assuming you meant 200-250USD).

oops! yeah I don't want a point and shoot because I have one right now and dont really enjoy using it.

You cannot get a DSLR kit for $200-$250, even Canon's first rebel is going ~$250 body only, and you can't shoot without a lens. If you are interested in a DSLR, you'll have to increase your budget at least double, otherwise, I'd just look at getting an improved point n shoot.

What point and shoot do you have now, and how do you find it fails your needs?

I have a samsung digital camera, it's pretty terrible. Alright, what is the cheapest I can get a rebel? I just don't want to get something super expensive and then break it. I either want a DSLR camera or a video camera I can mount to my helmet and record while riding around. Is any of this possible?!

If you want small and cheap I would look at a used Olympus E-620 or Panasonic L1. Just look for a Panasonic without the Leica lens and get an Olympus prime instead. I read a prediction that DSLR prices would drop more this year and you might pick up kit for around 300 dollars, but if I were you I would shop the used market.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

KEH.com is a reputable dealer. Used items can be returned within 14 days - and 90 day warranty.

Here are 2 Olympus dslr's - E-500 for $245 and E-510 for $275 - both with the 14-42 lens. They also have the E-450 for $349.

Maybe someone who knows these cameras will give you a mini-review.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Dig...c=79276&r=WG&f

Liz

The 510 is a much better camera than the 500 compared to the price. The 510 has in body is and lots less noise at higher iso's. I would get the 510. The 510 also has live view.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    The 510 is a much better camera than the 500 compared to the price. The 510 has in body is and lots less noise at higher iso's. I would get the 510.
    I would agree - the In body IS is very important. A winner. I agree 100% with Greg and you can't go wrong for $275 IMHO.

Liz

what dose this button do?

keep looking i just picked up a EOS 20D with the 28-105 lens for $280 redy to use with spare bat and charger and i am loving it

it is a older used piece of equipment but that is fine with me i didnt see the point in buying a brand new DSLR to learn on

yup I'd say thats a pretty good deal.

Thread Information