Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    GodSmack

Smile Digital Rebel Lenses vs. Rebel G Lenses

I am looking into purchasing a Digital Rebel and I presently have a Rebel G with the standard 35-80mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. If I just purchase the camera body will I be losing that much wide angle if I don't purchase the 18-55mm lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? I was trying to save some money by using my lenses that I use with the Rebel G but is it worth the savings? Canon tells me that my 35-80 lens will turn into a 50-105mm but will work on the Digital. Any help is much appreciated!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbacklund
    I am looking into purchasing a Digital Rebel and I presently have a Rebel G with the standard 35-80mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. If I just purchase the camera body will I be losing that much wide angle if I don't purchase the 18-55mm lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? I was trying to save some money by using my lenses that I use with the Rebel G but is it worth the savings? Canon tells me that my 35-80 lens will turn into a 50-105mm but will work on the Digital. Any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! I went threw this same thing about 2 months ago. My G got wet and not worth fixing so I stepped up to the DRebel. I also had the 35-80mm kit lens that came with my G and debated on getting just the DRebel body and just using my existing lenses. I opted to get the 18-55mm kit lens because I didn't have anything that wide in my arsenal. From what I have read on this forum, the 18-55mm lens is a pretty decent lens for what you pay for it ($100). It may not be the best in low light situations tho. I am happy with the lens myself, but if I had it all to do over again and the money to do it, I would start with just the body and invest in a much higher quality lens. That goes for the 3 kit lenses that I have and not just the 18-55mm.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

GodSmack
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the forum! I went threw this same thing about 2 months ago. My G got wet and not worth fixing so I stepped up to the DRebel. I also had the 35-80mm kit lens that came with my G and debated on getting just the DRebel body and just using my existing lenses. I opted to get the 18-55mm kit lens because I didn't have anything that wide in my arsenal. From what I have read on this forum, the 18-55mm lens is a pretty decent lens for what you pay for it ($100). It may not be the best in low light situations tho. I am happy with the lens myself, but if I had it all to do over again and the money to do it, I would start with just the body and invest in a much higher quality lens. That goes for the 3 kit lenses that I have and not just the 18-55mm.

Hope this helps.
    Michael

Thanks Michael, I think I will just go ahead and get the lens. Have you tried using the 35-80mm lens from your old Rebel on the new DRebel? I'm just curious as to how much wide angle is actually lost.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbacklund
    Thanks Michael, I think I will just go ahead and get the lens. Have you tried using the 35-80mm lens from your old Rebel on the new DRebel? I'm just curious as to how much wide angle is actually lost.
    I haven't used the 35-80mm lens that much on the DRebel yet, at least not that I can remember. I did just do a little experiment with for you tho. I put a lens on the DRebel and set it at 35mm, I did the same with the Rebel G. In a distance of about 10' the Rebel G gave me an additional 32" in the view finder over the DRebel. This was a pretty crude experiment but it should give you some idea of what you can expect from the DRebel.

I forgot to mention this before in case you didn't know... the EF-S 18-55mm lens that comes with the DRebel, can ONLY be used on the DRebel. It will not fit on your Rebel G or any other Canon camera for that matter, but the lenses that you have for your Rebel G will work on the DRebel.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information