• 08-26-2004, 01:45 PM
    jbacklund
    Digital Rebel Lenses vs. Rebel G Lenses
    I am looking into purchasing a Digital Rebel and I presently have a Rebel G with the standard 35-80mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. If I just purchase the camera body will I be losing that much wide angle if I don't purchase the 18-55mm lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? I was trying to save some money by using my lenses that I use with the Rebel G but is it worth the savings? Canon tells me that my 35-80 lens will turn into a 50-105mm but will work on the Digital. Any help is much appreciated!
  • 08-26-2004, 03:42 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbacklund
    I am looking into purchasing a Digital Rebel and I presently have a Rebel G with the standard 35-80mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. If I just purchase the camera body will I be losing that much wide angle if I don't purchase the 18-55mm lens that the Digital Rebel comes with? I was trying to save some money by using my lenses that I use with the Rebel G but is it worth the savings? Canon tells me that my 35-80 lens will turn into a 50-105mm but will work on the Digital. Any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! I went threw this same thing about 2 months ago. My G got wet and not worth fixing so I stepped up to the DRebel. I also had the 35-80mm kit lens that came with my G and debated on getting just the DRebel body and just using my existing lenses. I opted to get the 18-55mm kit lens because I didn't have anything that wide in my arsenal. From what I have read on this forum, the 18-55mm lens is a pretty decent lens for what you pay for it ($100). It may not be the best in low light situations tho. I am happy with the lens myself, but if I had it all to do over again and the money to do it, I would start with just the body and invest in a much higher quality lens. That goes for the 3 kit lenses that I have and not just the 18-55mm.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
  • 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
    jbacklund
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the forum! I went threw this same thing about 2 months ago. My G got wet and not worth fixing so I stepped up to the DRebel. I also had the 35-80mm kit lens that came with my G and debated on getting just the DRebel body and just using my existing lenses. I opted to get the 18-55mm kit lens because I didn't have anything that wide in my arsenal. From what I have read on this forum, the 18-55mm lens is a pretty decent lens for what you pay for it ($100). It may not be the best in low light situations tho. I am happy with the lens myself, but if I had it all to do over again and the money to do it, I would start with just the body and invest in a much higher quality lens. That goes for the 3 kit lenses that I have and not just the 18-55mm.

Hope this helps.
    Michael

Thanks Michael, I think I will just go ahead and get the lens. Have you tried using the 35-80mm lens from your old Rebel on the new DRebel? I'm just curious as to how much wide angle is actually lost.
  • 08-26-2004, 06:14 PM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbacklund
    Thanks Michael, I think I will just go ahead and get the lens. Have you tried using the 35-80mm lens from your old Rebel on the new DRebel? I'm just curious as to how much wide angle is actually lost.

I haven't used the 35-80mm lens that much on the DRebel yet, at least not that I can remember. I did just do a little experiment with for you tho. I put a lens on the DRebel and set it at 35mm, I did the same with the Rebel G. In a distance of about 10' the Rebel G gave me an additional 32" in the view finder over the DRebel. This was a pretty crude experiment but it should give you some idea of what you can expect from the DRebel.

I forgot to mention this before in case you didn't know... the EF-S 18-55mm lens that comes with the DRebel, can ONLY be used on the DRebel. It will not fit on your Rebel G or any other Canon camera for that matter, but the lenses that you have for your Rebel G will work on the DRebel.