Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

A new lens or a new flash?

Hi! I recently bought the EOS 40D Camera with EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM lens kit. I'm still new to photography, especially with this digital SLR.

What do you suggest should be my next purchase? A new lens or a new flash. I want to get the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens and the Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash, but can't afford both right now. It's one or the other. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
    K

Re: A new lens or a new flash?

You would probably get more mileage out of the flash right now. Choosing lenses is generally based on the type of shooting you want to do. For sports, you need long fast (ie f2.8 etc.) lenses and for many other types of shots less expensive glass may be appropriate.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

If you're really really into doing photos in low light then that might be a reason to choose the 50mm f1.4 although there are other things to consider:

- the 50mm f1.8 is much cheaper and almost as good
    - the IS on your 17-85 allows you to do photos in low light as well (as long as the subject isn't moving too fast
    - I don't understand why so many people buy a 50mm. On film it was the standard lens and it was useful, on APS-C sensors it's a weak telephoto and not a focal length I use very much

No I think a flash has to be your next purchase. As soon as you start getting trapped into doing pictures for other people (because you have a "good" camera) then you have to come up with the results and you absolutely have to have more control over the light. A flash is a life-saver at all sorts of events
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    - I don't understand why so many people buy a 50mm. On film it was the standard lens and it was useful, on APS-C sensors it's a weak telephoto and not a focal length I use very much

The 50mm is cheap and sharp - what other lens can you get that is f1.8 for $100 ? Get a reversing ring and you have an amazing macro rig. The possibilities are endless with the 50mm ....

But I do agree that a flash should be your next purchase ... will use it much more than a 50mm
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Thread Information