Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New guy ,thinking of going entry level DSLR

I hope I'm posting on the right forum, I don,t see many others asking questions here , but since my questions are DSLR rated ,I hope I don't get booted off. lol.
    Any way I have my DSLR cameras for dummies book "copyright 2007" and am learning basics, I realize todays cameras are updated , but I'm wondering about sensors , the book (2007) shows the difference in sensors ... 24x36mm and a smaller one 22.2x14.8 and goes on to say a sensor is like a bucket with light falling on it , OK I get it , but is this another word for megapixels ? Do they squish megapixels into a small size sensor ,or are megapixels all the same size ?? The reason I'm asking is because it goes on to say these dslr cameras cant get a sensor as big as 24x36mm which the old 35mm film was. So with my saved up airmiles points I have a choice of 11 dslr cameras ,Canon ,Nikon ,and a sony ,Oh yeah one Pentax ,but I dont care for that brand as I had horrible luck years ago.

Looking up the specs only two of them showed sensor size ( in those words ) but they all show meapixels..

Re: New guy ,thinking of going entry level DSLR

There are (generally) two sizes of sensors in DSLRs - one is the same size as 35mm film (usually called full frame of FF) and the other about half the area (usually called APS-C or cropped). They do make the 'pixels' larger or smaller, so they can have any 'megapixel' in either size sensor. It is easier to fit more on a larger sensor, so the FF sensors do tend to have more 'megapixels'. The ones you are looking at are probably all APS-C. A body with an FF sensor runs from about US$2000 to $8000. When you need (if ever) an FF camera, you will know it.

To answer a bigger question, all current DSLRs are capable of taking excellent images.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

From "entry level" in your thread title, you'll be looking at the smaller sensor.

The larger sensors in the more expensive cameras generally tend to behave better in low light, and produce less noise in the image. They also behave the same way film does with regard to lenses, the focal length and depth of field, because the sensor is the same size as the 35mm film frame.

Thanks loads you guys , I keep seeing the term APS-C, and finally know what it means .. I'm thinking of going with the Canon T5i just because the camera store guy advised it . He knew I was ordering thru airmiles and only wanted a remote shutter release from him..

- Megapixel means "one million pixels"
    - A pixel is a coloured dot that goes to make up an image. You need a lot of pixels to make up an image, arranged in rows and columns
    - You are already familiar with pixels just from your PC monitor. Your screen definition is probably something like 1600x1200 i.e. 1600 pixels across and 1200 pixels high.
    - The image produced by a T5i is 5184 pixels across by 3456 high. 5184x3456 = 17,915,904 pixels = about 18 million.

The size of the sensor does not determine the number of pixels. As you suggest, to produce a large number of pixels on a small sensor then you have to squish the photosites (sensor that generates the pixel) and make them smaller. This has a number of drawbacks:

- the photosite receives less light therefore it is less sensitive
    - the photosite cannot record as many levels of light therefore it gives an image that is less subtle and more likely to burn out highlights
    - it is more prone to optical diffraction that softens the image
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks for clearing everything up..
    Neil

Also think about how you want to use it. I like my cameras relatively compact, sturdy, and sealed. Those three traits plus being inexpensive are pretty nice if you are planning on taking the camera out into the elements (hiking, climbing, skiing, mountain biking, etc).
    That combination is what got me into the Pentax system and I'm very happy with it. I also like having shake reduction in the body instead of the lenses so you only need to buy it once and it works for any lens. Sony, Olympus, and Pentax all have in-body stabilization. Nikon and Canon do it in the lens so if you don't get stabilized lenses (for more $ of course) then you don't get stabilization.
    I use a few lenses that are 30 years old and it's pretty nice to have the addition of shake reduction on a classic lens!

I know you said you weren't considering Pentax but I just thought I'd throw a little more info out there to help you make an informed decision.

Thanks mattb,
    Yes I was wanting to stay away from Pentax , but that was 20 years ago that I had problems with one .. iI have been looking at the Sony A58 over the Canon , but now you mentioned the weather resistancy of the pentax I looked up the Pentax K-30 and it's sure tempting because I hike up mountains , ski ,ride motorcycles and white water kayak ( an inflatable with room for gear ) , I'd have it in a ziploc sealed baggy for the whitewater stuff . Do you know if it can use a remote shutter release ? I just phoned the manufacturer but they closed at 4:30 MT. More research required .. But its the only camera that is designed to be in a bit of elements ..Thats a huge + .
    thanks, Neil

Yes, I believe it can do wired or wireless. I don't have one but a friend of mine does and he seems to like his so far. I have a K-x and a K-5 and love them. Especially the K-5.
    I took it skiing a lot with the 18-135 WR (sealed) zoom. It's held up well.

How is the zoom sealed , I mean is it factory sealed or something you do yourself , or an add on ? The one at the airliles place has a 18-55 lens kit.

It's factory sealed with O-rings. Any Pentax lens with a WR (Weather Resistant) designation is. You can't submerge it but I have used mine in pouring rain with no problems. That kit lens is WR I'm pretty sure. As is my 18-135 and any of the current DA * (star) line of lenses and a few of the DA lenses (the 18-250, 50-135, 60-250, 200, and 300 come to mind off the top of my head).
    I kind of lust for the DA* 300mm f/4 and the DA * 60-250 f/4. One day...

mattb You a good salesman, I looked up everything I could about the Pentak K-30 .Yes it has wireless remote and even got a waterproof one ,both are under $30.00. It can take AA batterys which is a big plus because I have lots of the rechargeble ones here and can always have extras. Another real plus was the weather resistance , They have a video of a camera sitting under a fountain taking pictures ,then the guy in a canoe dunks it and shots a few pictures too. I noticed for what I wanted it does it all plus more .
    The real clincher came when I phoned a camera store today and asked if they carried pentax remotes , the guy said no and where to buy it cause the store he works in doesnt sell pentax,and out of the blue he said he owned one and they were excellent , when I told him I was tinking of buying one he went into great detail saying how good Pentax was over all the others ,and he has been trying to talk his boss into stocking them.. I couldnt believe my ears , you know how you get sales pitches and your aware the guys trying to make a sale ,well this guy was encouraging me to buy from the competition and told me who stocked them . What more did I need ,I clicked on Airmiles and ordered one .. It arrives within 4 weeks. Oh yeah he mentioned that since I was a new guy to DSLR,the competion has loads of 2 hr.courses on all kinds of stuf for $50.00 I checked it out and its great ..
    Well mattb ,many many thanks for getting me interested in Pentax..
    Neil

Thread Information