Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    An Oz in HK

The new E300 from Olympus

Hi everyone
    Since I don't have a legacy system to worry about, I have been looking at the new E300 as a possible candidate for my move to DSLR. Size matters, and I find some of the other DSLRs too large my purpose as a travel camera. Does anyone know if there is a full review available, particularly the image quality?
    thanks
    deekay

Re: The new E300 from Olympus

I haven't seen a full review yet, and I haven't had a chance to use it myself. But I've had an E-1 for a while now and I've nejoyed it a lot. I don't think the E-1's image quality is quite as good as some of the other cameras, but I don't think it's bad. And because of the small size, there are lots of times I'd rather carry the E-1 than one of my other cameras. In my opinion, the either Olympus DSLR is a system choice. The lenses are awesome and the whole package is super flexible and powerful. With an 8 megapixel sensor, I'm expecting the E300 to be a great camera.

If small is one of your main priorities, you should also consider the Pentax DSLRs. I had the oppportunity to use the Pentax *ist D for a few weeks and I really liked it. The Pentax bodies are still the smallest available, I think. The new, compact E300 design may be smaller than the Pentax bodies, though. I'm not 100% sure.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

An Oz in HK

many thanks John
    The information is much appreciated. I have looked at the Pentax DSLR but feel that the lenses offered by Olympus may be a better long term option for me. If I buy the camera (it is not available in HK yet) I will opt for the best of the lenses rather than the one that will be bundled with the camera. They seem to be producing two levels of quality in the lenses now.

Provided the 8 Megapixel lives up to expectations in terms of image quality, this is my current choice. I hope that 8 Mp proves to be better than the Pentax 6 Mp. The reviews will provide a good measure - I hope.

Regards from HK
    deekay

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I haven't seen a full review yet, and I haven't had a chance to use it myself. But I've had an E-1 for a while now and I've nejoyed it a lot. I don't think the E-1's image quality is quite as good as some of the other cameras, but I don't think it's bad. And because of the small size, there are lots of times I'd rather carry the E-1 than one of my other cameras. In my opinion, the either Olympus DSLR is a system choice. The lenses are awesome and the whole package is super flexible and powerful. With an 8 megapixel sensor, I'm expecting the E300 to be a great camera.

If small is one of your main priorities, you should also consider the Pentax DSLRs. I had the oppportunity to use the Pentax *ist D for a few weeks and I really liked it. The Pentax bodies are still the smallest available, I think. The new, compact E300 design may be smaller than the Pentax bodies, though. I'm not 100% sure.

Thread Information