Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New to digital ..

I am planning on switching to a digital slr in the near future. I currently have a 35mm nikon slr and a few lenses most of which are nearing twenty years of age and could stand to be replace with new ones. Therefore, I am looking at all brands. My price cap is about $2K. For the most part I take landscapes and macro shots with the ocasional portrait. I have used a cannon 1ds and liked using it, however, that is well out of my price range. My only real requirements are meeting the price cap, a camera with a decent auto focus (i'm lazy, and most the stuff i take is for personal gratification such as vacation pictures), and good color. I have been doing research for the past several months and I still can't see a clear advantage between most of the cameras for my use. Is there any particular camera you feel would meet my needs better than another?

Liz

Thumbs up Advice from a Canon user :-)

Hi and Welcome to the DSLR section of PR!

My first advice is obvious - since you have Nikon lenses, stick to Nikon. Having said that I can give you a couple of links to check out the D70 which everyone seems to be pleased with - and the price looks like it's within your budget.

Review section here:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Profess...9_3127crx.aspx

Specifications - price etc at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

BTW - the "kit" is $1,299 (includes lens - check out B&H for specs).

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by jlagrone
    I am planning on switching to a digital slr in the near future. I currently have a 35mm nikon slr and a few lenses most of which are nearing twenty years of age and could stand to be replace with new ones. Therefore, I am looking at all brands. My price cap is about $2K. For the most part I take landscapes and macro shots with the ocasional portrait. I have used a cannon 1ds and liked using it, however, that is well out of my price range. My only real requirements are meeting the price cap, a camera with a decent auto focus (i'm lazy, and most the stuff i take is for personal gratification such as vacation pictures), and good color. I have been doing research for the past several months and I still can't see a clear advantage between most of the cameras for my use. Is there any particular camera you feel would meet my needs better than another?

Thanks, I thing I'm going to see if there is a local camera store that will let me test a few cameras. But I'd still like to hear anything you have to say as I plan on waiting until after photokina before I purchase my selcetion in hopes that the price will drop or something new will be out at a resonable price. Wishful thinking maybe, but it can't hurt.

Liz

Lightbulb Smart thinking!

"I'd still like to hear anything you have to say as I plan on waiting until after photokina before I purchase my selcetion in hopes that the price will drop or something new will be out at a resonable price."

I think that's the way to do it. You just may land some sweet deal.....not to mention a great camera! BTW - sometimes the weekends are a bit slow around here - so keep your post alive next week.

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 09-25-2004 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information