New to digital ..

Printable View

• 09-25-2004, 10:39 AM
    jlagrone
    New to digital ..
    I am planning on switching to a digital slr in the near future. I currently have a 35mm nikon slr and a few lenses most of which are nearing twenty years of age and could stand to be replace with new ones. Therefore, I am looking at all brands. My price cap is about $2K. For the most part I take landscapes and macro shots with the ocasional portrait. I have used a cannon 1ds and liked using it, however, that is well out of my price range. My only real requirements are meeting the price cap, a camera with a decent auto focus (i'm lazy, and most the stuff i take is for personal gratification such as vacation pictures), and good color. I have been doing research for the past several months and I still can't see a clear advantage between most of the cameras for my use. Is there any particular camera you feel would meet my needs better than another?
  • 09-25-2004, 03:54 PM
    Liz
    Advice from a Canon user :-)
    Hi and Welcome to the DSLR section of PR!

My first advice is obvious - since you have Nikon lenses, stick to Nikon. Having said that I can give you a couple of links to check out the D70 which everyone seems to be pleased with - and the price looks like it's within your budget.

Review section here:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Profess...9_3127crx.aspx

Specifications - price etc at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

BTW - the "kit" is $1,299 (includes lens - check out B&H for specs).

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlagrone
    I am planning on switching to a digital slr in the near future. I currently have a 35mm nikon slr and a few lenses most of which are nearing twenty years of age and could stand to be replace with new ones. Therefore, I am looking at all brands. My price cap is about $2K. For the most part I take landscapes and macro shots with the ocasional portrait. I have used a cannon 1ds and liked using it, however, that is well out of my price range. My only real requirements are meeting the price cap, a camera with a decent auto focus (i'm lazy, and most the stuff i take is for personal gratification such as vacation pictures), and good color. I have been doing research for the past several months and I still can't see a clear advantage between most of the cameras for my use. Is there any particular camera you feel would meet my needs better than another?

• 09-25-2004, 07:09 PM
    jlagrone
    Thanks, I thing I'm going to see if there is a local camera store that will let me test a few cameras. But I'd still like to hear anything you have to say as I plan on waiting until after photokina before I purchase my selcetion in hopes that the price will drop or something new will be out at a resonable price. Wishful thinking maybe, but it can't hurt.
  • 09-25-2004, 07:42 PM
    Liz
    Smart thinking!
    "I'd still like to hear anything you have to say as I plan on waiting until after photokina before I purchase my selcetion in hopes that the price will drop or something new will be out at a resonable price."

I think that's the way to do it. You just may land some sweet deal.....not to mention a great camera! BTW - sometimes the weekends are a bit slow around here - so keep your post alive next week. :cool:

Liz