Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: New to Digital

Smile New to Digital

Hi All,
    I am new to Photography and have jumped in at the deep end by buying a Canon EOS 350D.

I would appreciate it if some one could recomend any good books on digital photography to get me started on the best way to take advantage of the features found on DSLR's and photography in general.

Many thanks in advance
    Nige
    Last edited by Velocity; 02-10-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Can't really help

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity
    Hi All,
    I am new to Photography and have jumped in at the deep end by buying a Canon EOS 350D.

I would appreciate it if some one could recomend any good books on digital photography to get me started on the best way to take advantage of the features found on DSLR's and photography in general.

Many thanks in advance
    Nige
    Humm, no answers after 24 hours? I can't really help you as I shoot Nikon and I live in France. Let me just suggest that when you write on this predominantly American site, you put on your best Texas accent and you say "I just bought a Rebel XT.." which is the name for your camera in the States.

The first book you should buy is one dedicated to your camera. Finally it may not tell you more than the instruction manual but it will take three times as long in doing it with more examples.

The next book you should buy is one dedicated to your editing software (Photoshop etc) . You'll find that you will need to treat quite a lot of your images to make them look right. You can do a lot in software but the difficult thing is to understand what you can actually do.

Lastly - if you want a general basic book then I find the Dummies guides are pretty good and also entertaining. I'm still reading the Dummies Guide to French history (what with me being born in Birmingham and all that).

Charles

drg

Re: New to Digital

The Magic Lantern Guides are a good place to start for third-party Camera Manuals. Below is a link to amazon.com (web presence book seller) to give you an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...Fencoding=UTF8

They (and others as well) have an extensive catalog of books. Dependent on your photographic background there are dozens of books for entry level photography/digital photography. Many time visiting a bookstore at this stage might be good to see what book fits your specific needs.

Search for topics and book titles on this site for information you want/need and feel free to ask specific questions. Many topics have been covered in great detail in various forums. Searching first will probably get you more information first as you won't have to wait for an answer.

Welcome to PR and hope to see some photos from your new camera.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I am struggling between Canon and Kodak digital cameras. Which one is the best and, seems, like the quality of digital pics is not as good as the old fashioned way. Anyone has that impression as well?

Liz

Online learning

Canon has a learning center online - there is a specific learning tutorial for the Digital Rebel 300D and the Rebel 350XT.

I assume you have the XT - if not - there is also a tutorial for the 300D.

Click on the link here - then look at the lower left of the screen. If you have the 350XT click on the specific link for the tutorial. If you have the 300D, scroll down (same area lower left) until you see the Rebel 300D listed.

This is an excellent tutorial. It's long, but you can stop anywhere - and you can print out pages.

http://photoworkshop.com/canon/

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity
    Hi All,

Many thanks in advance
    Nige

Hi,
    I would just like to say thank you for the response and answers to my question.
    I have purchased the Digital Lantern guide to the RebelXT/EOS 350D and the Rebel XT Field Guide.

I will post some pictures once I have had a play with the camera and look forward to your comments and advice.

Regards
    Nige

Re: Can't really help

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Humm, no answers after 24 hours? I can't really help you as I shoot Nikon and I live in France. Let me just suggest that when you write on this predominantly American site, you put on your best Texas accent and you say "I just bought a Rebel XT.." which is the name for your camera in the States.

. I'm still reading the Dummies Guide to French history (what with me being born in Birmingham and all that).

Charles
    J'espère que tu parles français aussi, puisque tu es en france!

Ronnoco

Thread Information