Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New to D-SLR's Have a question......

I'm new to SLR's but I'm not new to digital camera's and photography. My questions is I've been eyeing a couple of models and I need help to determine which one I should purchase.

I was thinking of either:

Canon rebel XT or XTI

Nikon D40x

Olympus E-410

Which one do any of you think would be the better buy. I plan to focus more on macros and scenery shots. (with some sports shots thrown in). And also would any of these be good for local newspaper print? Any help would be appreciated.....thanks.

Re: New to D-SLR's Have a question......

Personally, I just went through the same process. After TONS of research, I decided the Rebel XTi was the best one for me. Here's why:

Olympus uses a smaller sensor which, for your macro shots would be helpful (I think). However, all the tests I read showed it lacked enough dynamic range (bright and dark in the same scene) which was the deal breaker for me - you need that for the scenery shots in particular.

The Nikon is a nice piece, and I like that they use SD. However, because there is no focus motor in the body, your lens selection is limited (unless you want to manual focus them). That was the deal breaker for me, as I wanted a highly flexible system that could use whichever lenses I chose. However, there are more lenses coming out for the new Nikons by the day, so don't let my opinion on that make you think there aren't any out there - there are - just not as many as Canon.

So that left the Canon XT and XTi. The XT is such a steal right now I almost went with it, but I'm glad I didn't. The XTi's larger rear monitor is great when your friends or family say "let me see!" right after you take a photo. It also has upgraded (supposedly faster) autofocusing, which is important for sports. Finally, it has the dust resistant system. Then, Canon lenses from about the last ~20 years will all work on their bodies - big flexibility, lower prices. Those features sealed it for me. I then went with the 50mm F1.8 II lens because of its low price to fit my tight budget and its sharp image quality. So far, I love it.

But again, those are my personal opinions and what was best for my situation. Your priorities may be different. Also, many people say the Nikons have better ergonomics, but for me (average to smaller sized hands), the XTi fits me fine. Bottom line, they're all fine cameras and the differences b/t them are small. You can't go wrong, just pick your flavor.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

After doing more research I've settled on either the
    OlympusE 410
    Olympus E 500
    Olympus E 510
    I read these have image stablilation built it which sounds real good to me. Meaning no matter what lens i use I get that feature. Now I just gotta pick between the 3. Choices, choices......

If you're going with the Oly then there is no choice. The 510 kit with 2 lenses. If you go with the 410 or 500 you'll be constantly kicking yourself for not going the extra mile. The 510 is way superior to either of the others. And it's a great camera. I'm quite certain you'll be happy with it.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-boy79
    After doing more research I've settled on either the
    OlympusE 410
    Olympus E 500
    Olympus E 510
    I read these have image stablilation built it which sounds real good to me. Meaning no matter what lens i use I get that feature. Now I just gotta pick between the 3. Choices, choices......
    I know there are other choices, but your not just buying an SLR, your buying a camera system, and there are only two choices, Canon, and Nikon. I would not bother looking at anything else.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Olympus doesn't have the system the others do.
    Pentax might be worth looking into. Their owners seem happy.

When you said you were 'eyeing models' I thought something completely different.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I agree with what the others have been saying here - remember you are buying into a system that you will use for life most likely - you can get almost anything under the sun for a nikon or a canon. Our photo-club president bought a olympus and he is not happy with the available accessories - or lack of. He is looking into switching over to a nikon or a canon.

Instead of the nikon D40 maybe look into a used d70s - I agree with what is being said about the D40 and the lack of a AF motor in the body. I don't know what Nikon was thinking when they did that - limits you to pretty much nikon only lenses.

Also when it comes down to it make sure you go somewhere to actually hold the camera in your hands .... that is what made me go nikon - the canon was just too small for me and I didn't like the way it felt.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Just two opinions:

1. The latest Olympus DSLR (E-510) actually reduced the dynamic range while other companies are trying to widen it. This time around, they have lost almost a stop (0.7 stops). IMHO, this is not good by any stretch of the imagination. Combine that with sensor noise at 400 ISO and above and the warning bells start going off.

2. I forget where I read this, but Nikon is coming out with a replacement for the D40 that can use all the lenses, not just the D40 "special" ones. This would be a much better buy than even a cheap D40.

2a. Note that I would recommend the Canon or Pentax, but that's just me!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I don't know what is available from Canon as far as macro equipment is concerned but Nikon has some great stuff for macro photography. I'm not talking about what I term 'close focusing' that passes for macro these days from the camera manufacturers. I'm talking about 1:2 (1/2 life-size on the sensor) or better. My old 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor focuses down to 1:2 just by turning the focusing ring all the way until it stops and I can get 1:1 with an extension tube. For magnification ratios beyond 1:1 I run the extension tube with a reversed 35 mm f2 lens. The autofocus 60mm Micro Nikkor focuses to 1:1 without an extension tube and it will work with any DSLR other than the D40/D40x as you lose the autofocus. I can get an extension bellows and other accessories if I want to go crazy with this whole macro thing.

Thread Information