Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

new Canon XT versus used Canon EOS 20D

Hey all,

I'm new to this site and digital slrs and would appreciate any feedback you all might have. I'm a novice photographer looking to get an SLR that I can use to learn more about photography as well as grow into. I was pretty much set on buying the Canon Rebel XT, but a few friends have told me to save up and buy something a little more advanced.

I am really not in a place to be spending over a grand on a camera, so I looked into some used options. So...here's my questions: If it came down to choosing between a new Rebel and a used 20D (from a trustworthy seller) for $200 more, which would you do?

Thanks!

Re: new Canon XT versus used Canon EOS 20D

I personally would get the 20D. Its all around a better camera. Better build, better MP, probably a higher ISO & shutter speed and just a better feeling camera. On the same hand I rarely ever buy used, so if I wasn’t positive about the seller, I might settle for the XT.
    Current gear:
    Canon 30D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF Lens

If possible check out the used camera before buying, look for dings and dents, rattles etc. You may hear one rattle from the built in flash on some cameras, thats normal, it's only the brackets for the flash. Have the seller put a bettery and card in it and take a couple shots and see what the pics look like. Then decide which to go with. Most dealers will let you try before you buy, thats why they have demos.
    You will notice a difference in weight between the two bodies, which feels better and so on.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Get the XT and move the $200 to your lens budget. Your good lens may outlast your camera body if you continue your interest in photography.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    Get the XT and move the $200 to your lens budget. Your good lens may outlast your camera body if you continue your interest in photography.
    Agreed. Camera bodies come and go, lenses last for years and years.

Thread Information