Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Need lens help!

Lightbulb Need lens help!

Hi. I am a noob to Digital SLR's and based on the info I read on this site I bought a Canon XTI with the 50mm lens I also got the lens that comes with the camera but that one takes crap pics from what I gather. I know I am not a good photographer so maybe I am wrong?

I need a lens now that I am able to take good candid shots of my kids on the fly. The 50mm lens does not really look that great when trying to get quick shots in.

Can anyone please help? I really have no idea what I am doing

Thank you,
    Aric

Re: Need lens help!

A good place to start is the owner's manual--it is very detailed but you still need to read it anyway. Good info in it.

But if you're going to insist on not reading the manual, here is a link on how to use an SLR. It's even put out by Canon!

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...&articleID=279

Your lenses are fine; you just have to understand their limitations under low light conditions and while trying to take pictures of fast-moving kids (and in some cases both).

The 50mm is excellent.

Prank names aren't necessary here.

Agree with Anbesol the 50mm is great glass, but maybe you will be more comfortable with a zoom lens. The 17-85mm will be a nice upgrade for the kit lens.
    There are many other good budget lenses around it depends how much you want to spend and what focal range you are aiming for.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Thread Information