Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Need "Entry Level" D-SLR

Here is yet another "help me choose a camera" thread.

I am in the enviable (unenviable?) position of needing a camera for my business. Part of what I do is organize an annual conference for a trade association. The board members like to have lots of photos of their events so attendees can get that warm and fuzzy feeling post-conference and also to use in futue mailings and on the website. I also do other marketing work for clients and have to come up with mailings, print ads, banners and other marketing materials from time to time. Often I can use stock images but there have been occasions when I need to get my own image. So there is a real business need for a decent (but not pro-level) camera. I have various point and shoot cameras which I've gotten by with but I'm not always pleased with the results. Zoom is not good enough and lighting conditions are not always ideal.

In addition to typical conference shots of speakers and members during cocktail hours, we will also be holding a reception at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I can imagine some interesting shots with the various animal life and the members, but I know from experience at home that photographing fishtanks is a challenge.

This is starting to ramble a bit so let me try and get to the point:

-I need a camera that produce can decent images for web and print work (relatively small size images)

-Budget is entry level. It should be less than $750 if possible. Cheaper is better. Although it's a business expense the cost still comes out of my profits, so to speak. Used is OK. Then again if spending an additional $200 gets me a great piece of equipment that's going to last many years, I don't want to be pennywise and pound foolish.

-Should give decent results in challenging light situations

-Is there a camera (or technique) that is suited to shooting aquariums?

-I have some photograpy experience (35mm SLR and P&S digital) but I am definitely an amatuer.

-I am comfortable working with a computer and have some PhotoShop experience and work with a designer that is a PS power user.

Cameras that look reasonable and in the right price range that I've looked at online are:

Nikon D40
    Canon XTi
    Sony Alpha 100/200

My next step is to go to a camera store to try and get a feel for what I like, but I'd like to have some kind of idea going in.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Is something like the Nikon D40 a good choice? Canon XTi cameras seem to be well regarded.
    Last edited by erikzen; 05-15-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Re: Need "Entry Level" D-SLR

To shoot at an aquarium, all you need is a polarizer filter to eliminate glare :thumbsup:

If you arent concerned with Brand recognition,
    you might include Olympus in your search.
    The Oly E510 can be found for about $550 @ Amazon
    Circuit City has the Sony Alpha 200 at $550 and the Canon XTi @ $650
    The Nikon D60 is the newest camera of the bunch.
    It the latest entry level camera from Nikon @ $659 over at newegg.com
    Basically its an upgraded version of the D40 with new features.
    So the "old" D40 is be the bargain of the bunch at $488 @ buy.com

So go out & push all the buttons & see which one calls out your name :thumbsup:

I agree the 510 is the best deal out there for a two lens kit with amazing image stabilization. It's what I have and I love it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like my 510 a lot, seems to be a good value compare to the D40 and XTi. Pentax K100d shouldn't be too bad either if you can find it yet.

Thanks for the replies. Since my original post I started looking at the E510. That looks like a very nice camera with a ton of features for a reasonable price.

I just noticed that B&H has a deal on the D40 for camera, two lenses (18-55/55-200), 2 SD cards and camera bag for $600. I could take or leave the bag and already have memory but that seems like a very good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I agree the 510 is the best deal out there for a two lens kit with amazing image stabilization. It's what I have and I love it.
    Amazon has the 2 lens kit for $630.14. Is that the deal you mean?

I decided to buy the E-510 yesterday. I went to a local camera store that was willing to give me the kit with two lenses for $650. I'm currently trying to learn how to use the camera which is a bit more complicated than I thought. I was used to either a P&S digital, where you can tweak the settings a bit, or a film 35 mm. There seems like there are so many more options with this camera.

I decided on the E-510 for a variety of reasons.

It felt good in my hands.

Greatest set of features for the price. No other camera seemed to have Live View, IS, and dust reduction at this price. I don't see myself using Live View that much, but it's nice to have.

Although the Canon and Nikon systems have more lenses, once I saw the prices on a lot of these lenses I realized it's going to be a long time, if ever, that I will want or be able to afford more lenses. While a lot of people buy into these systems I wonder how many lenses they actually end up buying, excluding the folks here, of course. I was very intersted in the Nikon D40 at one point because I had seen some beautiful shots taken with it and realized that it's the photographer and the lens doing most of the work. Then I also realized that the lens that was used in these shots cost $2000.

I'm thrilled with my new purchase (so far) and look forward to learning more and taking some great pictures.

The store where I bought the camera recommended an external flash at some point. What are people's opinion of external flash kits, what brands are recommended and what can I expect to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by erikzen
    The store where I bought the camera recommended an external flash at some point. What are people's opinion of external flash kits, what brands are recommended and what can I expect to pay?
    External flash for bounce flash (bouncing flash off of the ceiling) allows for much better shots with more consistent colours and no paleness in the skin. Plus you can also fill better in daylight. Definitely worth it. STICK WITH THE CAMERA BRAND. Flash systems rely on dedicated metering systems (i-ttl for nikon for example) and you want something that will be fully compatible. The FL-36 is what most of my Olympus friends use.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information