Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Slr Type

CMC

Slr Type

What is the difference between a digital SLR and a digital SLR TYPE camera?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Slr Type

The slr type camera is basically and advanced point and shoot and probably looks much like a dslr. I'm not up on all of them but as far as I know you won't be able to exchange lenses, they probably still have a smaller sensor. You porbably have more ability to use manual modes. Not sure about shutter lag.

And welcome to the fourms! Stick around and ask more interesting questions.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The difference isn't really clear to me unless you can give me an example. It looks to me like you're reading from a camera spec sheet and it's likely that the two are exactly the same thing. However, it could also be as Frog suggests - that the word "type" indicates the camera sort of looks and acts like a digital SLR but isn't. However, my guess is that the two descriptions mean the exact same thing.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

'SLR Type' I've seen used as a gimmicky way to advertise point and shoot ultra-zooms as 'slr', they aren't, there is a distinct difference between a consumer digicam and SLR. The only Camera I think can genuinely qualify as 'SLR Type' is the Sony DSC-R1, simply because of the many things it shares in common with SLR technology (namely, APS sized image sensor). I presume you are reading this in EBay listings, if so, I'd say its just a bogus way to attach the word SLR to an ordinary point and shoot. Which particular cameras are you seeing advertised as 'SLR type'?

I have heard of advanced point and shoot cameras referred to as "slr type". I think it basically means that you have more controls over the final outcome than you do with your everyday p & s, similar to a real slr. However, there is still a large difference.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thread Information