• 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
    TigerLord
    My first SLR: K10D and accessories....help needed!
    If this is wrong forum my apologies... although my camera is Pentax the rest might not be... so I thought I'd get better answers here!

Hello everyone ! :cool:

I'm a 21 years French-Canadian medical student. I've been living in Europe for the past three years, and this is where I discovered I had a secret passion for photography. :idea:

I am finally moving back home to Canada this summer. Rent will be cheaper, food, electricity, water... everything ! Which means all these savings will go into...... buying my first SLR! I am very excited, since the best camera I have owned so far is a Powershot S500. I've purchased 200$ worth of books and devoured them, especially 'Light- Science and Magic' and 'Understanding Exposure'. I now feel ready to start shooting. :thumbsup:

I looked around and first wanted to go for the K100D, but I thought I'd go for a K10D right away since I have the budget and I feel the K10D will last me a little longer - it will probably take a while before my skills outgrow the camera !

So I'd like to share with you my shopping cart at CameraCanada.com. Before some Americans start screaming how expansive it is compared to the US - unfortunately it is. I considered buying in the US (I included a comparison) but the savings are very small after duties and taxes, and if I ever need to use my warranty I'd need to send my gear to the United States. So although it's a little more expansive here, I don't mind.

My budget is 3000$. Here it is:

K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Body BONUS $920.80
    Pentax - 16-45mm f4 Digital smc DA ED AL Lens $377.60
    Pentax - 50-200mm smc PDA f4-5.6 ED Lens $188.80

Battery Grip DBG2 for K10D Digital SLR $182.14
    Battery Pack DLI50 Rechargeable$84.50

Sandisk - 2 GB Ultra II SD Plus Memory Card 2x $62.79
    Lowepro - Pixel Pak V1 Memory Card Case $17.89

Pentax - Deluxe SLR Camera Bag with Pentax insignia $24.74
    ------------------------------------ Sub-total: 1922,05$
    Shipping: 16,72$
    6% PST: 116,32$
    ------------------------------------
    Total: 2055,10$

Here is a comparison to an eBAY kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-K10D-Digi...QQcmdZViewItem

Sub-total: $1,189.95US
    Shipping: $47US
    14% PST/GST: $173,17US
    Duty and brokerage fee: 79,87
    ------------------------------------ Total: $1460.12US
    Total: 1568,47$ CAD

Of course I don't have the same lenses (CameraCanada.com doesn't have the Temron mentioned) so my approximate savings for buying across the border would be of 300$ give or take...except I won't be happy if my K10D breaks and I have no more warranty. I prefer to buy at home and have a piece od mind !

I am missing: :confused:
    - A tripod
    - An external flash unit

I still have around 1000$ left on my budget, so if anyone can suggest a good tripod (and a ballhead if it doesn't come with it) as well as a flash unit.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm very anxious to hear your comments! Thank you!!!
  • 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
    Frog
    Re: My first SLR: K10D and accessories....help needed!
    I never suggest buying the package deals on ebay as the items included are usually of low quality and if you just shop a bit for the individual items you need, you'll find better quality at lower prices. Only kit I would buy would be body and perhaps a lens and then shop ebay or elsewhere for what you need/want.
    I don't know why anyone needs a case for their cards but maybe some experts here do.
    A tripod is an ablsoute necessity, imho. You might look at reviews here. You can get good ones with good ballhead for a couple hundred or get really good for more.
    A case is necessary but there are many models and you want to make sure you get one large enough for all your kit to fit. At least body and a couple extral lenses and flash and cleaning kit and filters and cards and etc.
    Better experts than I may give you different advice. I'm not familiar with pentax lenses but know people that have the 10d seem to like it.
  • 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM
    ken1953
    Re: My first SLR: K10D and accessories....help needed!
    You've made a wise choice in my opinion. Please check out the Pentax forum and especially Benjikan's post. He is a fellow countryman of yours and is currently in France doing some great work with the K10D.
    I look forward to seeing your growth as a Pentax photographer!!!!
    Please post lots of pics!!! We're all glad to help guide you along your way!!!