Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

my first shots with XSi

well people, here are a few of my first shots with the XSi and 50mm f1.8 lens. please comment and please be gentle as i am as new to dSLR as it gets
    this will be a long a fun journey of trial and error. i used the kit lens on some outdoor shots, but i dont want to spam the thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: my first shots with XSi

I can wait for my XSi to arrive :devil:

Great shots there...I particularly like that B&W portrait....really neat!

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    I can wait for my XSi to arrive :devil:

Great shots there...I particularly like that B&W portrait....really neat!
    thank you very much. the BW was actually a mistake. I played with the settings and left the monochrome option on, without realizing it. but my wife and I liked the pic so much, so I am quite happy.

as a complete rookie, i realized i best leave the camera on P and learn about the TV and AV settings from the camera decisions on the P setting. I tried to play a bit with aperture and shutter speed...didnt work out too well yet

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    as a complete rookie, i realized i best leave the camera on P and learn about the TV and AV settings from the camera decisions on the P setting. I tried to play a bit with aperture and shutter speed...didnt work out too well yet
    I think that's a fine plan. If you want a little more information on how aperture and shutter speed control your exposure, here's a good, basic article for you to read:

Controlling Light - Photography Exposure Guide

I think all of the photos you posted look great. It's nice that you had the accident with the black-and-shite image. I believe that it's important to leave room for accidents in photography because we often learn the most from our mistakes. Get too controled and everything becomes predictable and boring. So don't be afraid to play and experiment

If you want some more serious criticism, post your photos on the Photo Critique Forum. Real constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools available to photographers and I encourage you to take a look at that forum. Even if you don't feel ready to share there, you'll learn a ton from looking at other peoples' photos, reading the critiques, and even sharing your own thoughts. Everyone's opinion counts!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think that's a fine plan. If you want a little more information on how aperture and shutter speed control your exposure, here's a good, basic article for you to read:

Controlling Light - Photography Exposure Guide

I think all of the photos you posted look great. It's nice that you had the accident with the black-and-shite image. I believe that it's important to leave room for accidents in photography because we often learn the most from our mistakes. Get too controled and everything becomes predictable and boring. So don't be afraid to play and experiment

If you want some more serious criticism, post your photos on the Photo Critique Forum. Real constructive criticism is one of the most valuable tools available to photographers and I encourage you to take a look at that forum. Even if you don't feel ready to share there, you'll learn a ton from looking at other peoples' photos, reading the critiques, and even sharing your own thoughts. Everyone's opinion counts!
    thanks for sharing the link to the forum. I will definately make use of it. Not afraid of criticism at all. i believe i learn better from mistakes than from success only.

Incredible eye for images - I'm completely jealous. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Incredible eye for images - I'm completely jealous. - TF
    if i didnt know any better, i would almost believe you
    but thanx for trying to keep me enthused. either way i am already hooked.
    Canon XSi, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Liz

Congratulations Ronin! I'm glad you made the decision.....good choices!

You did a great job with your first shots. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

I purchased the E-PL1, but am still deciding if I will invest in the XSi myself - along with the E-PL1 as my daily camera, or just use the E-PL1 for everything. I depends on the DOF I can get with different lenses on the Oly.

Sooooo I look forward to more shots, comments, etc. from you.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Congratulations Ronin! I'm glad you made the decision.....good choices!

You did a great job with your first shots. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

I purchased the E-PL1, but am still deciding if I will invest in the XSi myself - along with the E-PL1 as my daily camera, or just use the E-PL1 for everything. I depends on the DOF I can get with different lenses on the Oly.

Sooooo I look forward to more shots, comments, etc. from you.

Liz
    thx. i will refrain from commenting on other people's work until i know what i am talking about. As Photo-John has already made me aware of the photo critique part of the forum i will post my shots there from now on, to keep things organized.
    Canon XSi, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    thx. i will refrain from commenting on other people's work until i know what i am talking about.
    Bad plan. Critiquing others’ images is half the learning process. It makes you think about why you do or don't like about something which you can then apply to your own. If I had to wait until I knew what I was talking about, I could buy a computer with no keyboard. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information