Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

My first 10D pictures

I finally got my hands on a 10D, although I had to purchase it while on vacation. Here are some of my first shots with it.
    http://www.pbase.com/eosthree/jackson
    I have already had a few debates on the photos about the white specks on the roof and snow, and if they're in focus or not. Comments appreciated.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Needs some unsharpen filtering

I had a look at your photos and I am wondering if you did any white balance on the shots. I noticed one of your images is a CRW image which means you took it in RAW mode, if you did, you need to do some adjustment maybe like white balance for a start and maybe a little sharpening, they do look "Not Sharp" when I view them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first 10D pictures-smallbarn1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I finally got my hands on a 10D, although I had to purchase it while on vacation. Here are some of my first shots with it.
    http://www.pbase.com/eosthree/jackson
    I have already had a few debates on the photos about the white specks on the roof and snow, and if they're in focus or not. Comments appreciated.
    Why wpuld you think they're not in focus? Antialias filters make things look slightly soft, unsharp masking helps restore the sharpness. And look at stuff when printed, staring at it on the screen at 100% tells you nothing.

Beautiful scene and you composed it well. Keep em coming.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Why wpuld you think they're not in focus? Antialias filters make things look slightly soft, unsharp masking helps restore the sharpness. And look at stuff when printed, staring at it on the screen at 100% tells you nothing.

Beautiful scene and you composed it well. Keep em coming.
    I think it is in focus, maybe I should have stopped down all the way, but the focus looks good to me. I have had comments on another site about "not one of my focus points being in focus", that led me to set up some raisin boxes on a table and shoot them with my lens wide open. I somehow deleted the test since but for the most part the auto focus was accurate. The only questionable area was in the left side, the far left point seemed to forward focus a little. I will re set up the test this morning and try to cover the points better.
    Last edited by EOSThree; 04-04-2004 at 09:04 AM.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

The post processing thing has me a little baffled...

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    I had a look at your photos and I am wondering if you did any white balance on the shots. I noticed one of your images is a CRW image which means you took it in RAW mode, if you did, you need to do some adjustment maybe like white balance for a start and maybe a little sharpening, they do look "Not Sharp" when I view them.
    Peter, thanks for the comments. I did do a white balance adjustment in conversion. I have been using a G2 up until now, which has a lot more in camera processing, and I have been generally satisfied with the output of this camera. Usually the bad ones are due to my screw ups in exposure. I could experiment all day with PSP to try and acheive the results I desire, but that could take forever. I have been taking notes on what people have done with their photos and tried some of those actions. I have a lot of Darkroom learning to do!

Thread Information