Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Moving up to a DSLR, but which one to get?

I have owned a Fujifilm Finepix 2.3 MP point and shoot,camera, a Samsung point and shoot, and an Olympus 7 MP underwater digital point and shoot camera. My Fujifilm is pretty much outdated but still a nice little compact camera and I am still loving my underwater camera given the fact that I am a swimmer and love water sports. I have taken some wonderful pictures with them but I want to take better pictures and want to broaden the options that I have on the camera. I am looking into purchasing a DSLR camera but am unsure of which one to buy. As of right now I seem to be leaning to the Pentax K10D, seeing not too many negative comments regarding it. I have also seen that it has a twin, the Samsung GX10. I also have been talking to photographers and they seem quite confident with the Nikon and Canon brands. Can I get some feedback regarding this? Is this also worht buying a DSLR with the cameras I already have? Also, does the K10D have the most bang for the buck?? I could use some guidance from experienced photographers... Thanks

Re: Moving up to a DSLR, but which one to get?

Hi pmueller and welcome to PR From the feedback here, the K10D is an excellent camera. Honestly, all of the DSLR's in that range from Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, and Canon are going to be quite capable cameras. What do you shoot primarily? What kind of options are you looking for in a camera that your current cameras don't have? What kind of budget are you looking to spend?

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I am looking to spend under $800 and I don't necessarily shoot anything in particular. I do it as a hobby. I love to bring my cameras on vacation, Poconos, Disney, etc. So it's a bunch of different types of trips. I am also a teacher and yearbook advisor, and I find that with my point and shoot cameras that I can't capture good images of sporting events or concerts and assemblies without practically being on stage. So I guess my biggest need is a stronger zoom but I also love to play with new toys. Do you feel that buying a DSLR at this time for me would not be worth it, or do you think it will be? I'm not a professional, just enjoy taking all different types of shots and capturing memories for my students and my family! What has also attracted me to the K10D is that it is pretty much weather-proof. I'm often very careful with my cameras and trust me, they are never just tossed around, but that is still a comfort to know that it seems to be a tough camera.

I have also just found out that Sears is going to have the Nikon D40 on sale for $449.99 on Black Friday. I haven't been able to find the K10D for under $600. The price break is enticing but I am not sure if I should just spend the extra money to get the K10D if it's better

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It sounds like you will want to shoot a lot of indoor shots. Any of the dslr you mention will work but its mostly the lens you put on which may cost several hundreds of dollars more.
    You're going to have to do more research and come back with more specific options, I'm afraid.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If it wasn't for the price of the lenses, I'd have a DSLR. The lens I would require for the type of photography I like, runs about $1400, double the price of the camera.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I just discovered this thread. For the type of photographer you are and the kind of photos you plan to do, I think the extra money for the K10D would be well worth it. The K10D's built-in image stabilization will mean more usable photos in all conditions, and especially in low light. With the Nikon you'll have to buy their VR lenses to get that kind of performance and you'll end up paying lots more. I am starting to recommmend Pentax, Olympus, and Sony DSLRs over Canon and Nikon for photographers like you, specifically because they have built-in image stabilization. For most photographers, I think this will mean more successful picture-taking. Canon and Nikon still have the glamour factor, and their overall image quality might be better, and the systems are richer. But none of that matters when you're shooting indoors in low light and your photos are no good because of camera shake.

So if you like the Pentax, I say spend the extra money and buy it. I don't think you'll regret it. And if you don't want another option, take a look at the Olympus E-510. I really enjoyed using it when we were testing it. And I don't think weather-resistance is as important as people make it out to be. I shoot mountain biking and have had all kinds of cameras out in all kinds of weather. I have yet (crossing fingers) to have a camera fail because of precipitation. Unless you're planning to be out in the rain a lot, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank you for your response and yes, I now am pretty set on Pentax. now looking further at the brand and speaking with other people, I have also found the K100D Super. I have found some people who say the 10 is better and others who say the 100D Super is better bang for the buck even though it doesn't some of the fancier stuff that the 10 does. It still has image stabilization. It is only 6.1 MP compared to 10 MP of the K10D, but I have read articles that say that difference is nothing big compared to the $200 in price. This is going to be a gift from my mom. She wants to get me a new camera but I don't want her wasting $200 if it's really not a major difference. As I said, photography is more of a hobby and not a profession. I'm still not 100% sure which one to choose though. Any experience or suggestions with these?

Thank you so much!!

Pentax K100D

If you like the K100D, I'd say go ahead and get it. The extra resolution and weatherproofing on the K10D are nice. But I think you'll do fine without them. The image stabilization is the really important feature, in my opinion. That will make much more difference in your ability to take good, useable pictures than anything else. Plus, the improvement in image quality you're going to see by just moving up to a digital SLR will amaze you. The K100D will get you started building a system. You can upgrade later, if you find the K100D isn't doing what you need it to. But I gurantee that's going to be a ways down the road. In the meantime, save a couple hundred dollars, and invest in a better lens or lenses instead.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

You won't go wrong with either the K100D Super (has weather seals also) or the K10D. However I will warn you that the K10D does not have easy to use shooting modes like the prior versions of Pentax DSLRs. You have to know what (you) want out of a photograph and set the camera to get the desired effect.

The K10D does have a Green mode which is full automatic, point and shoot, that the user has no control over. The P mode is still an automatic mode but the camera allows the user to adjust exposure compensation.

Outside the Green and P modes there are semi automatic modes like Tv and Av where you set the shutter speed or the aperture and the camera decides how to adjust the exposure depending on the program setting.

There are several more modes available too. For more details see my blog, Photography Rulez
    Last edited by cyberlord; 11-25-2007 at 07:21 AM.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thank you for your response. I actually went to a store that luckily had the 100d Super in stock and I was able to get my hands on it! I really really like it. It fits my hands perfectly and it's lighter than other DSLRs that I've held!

I don't by any means want to sway you (or anyone for that matter) from getting the K10D if that is what you want. I just wanted to let you know that if you are used to point and shoots and don't understand how to set up a SLR to get the results you want then the K10D will be discouraging for you to use. I've been using the DL for 1 1/2 years and was shocked at how much I had to control the camera to get the results I wanted. Using the DL in manual mode with the old manual lenses really helped my understand the DL and made the transition to the K10D that much easier.

However, if the opposite is true then yes, the K10D is a good step up from the 100D. It all boils down to how comfortable you are in taking control of the camera.

I'm glad you like the 100D Super's feel. I've held the DL, 100D (original model) and the K10D and they all are very similar in size and function. I did notice the K10D has a wider finger grip on the left side and has more rubber grip areas which I like better than the DL. I haven't held the 100D in a while and have never held the Super. I will go visit my neighbor and compare her 100D to the K10D so I have a reference for future comparisons.

I hope you enjoy what ever camera you decide to purchase.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thread Information